Re: [linuxtools-dev] OProfile error in "timer interrupt" mode

On 06/22/2010 08:36 AM, Marc Dumais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to use OProfile through the eclipse plug-in, I get the
> following error message on the shell on which I started eclipse:
>
> "You cannot specify any performance counter eventsbecause OProfile is in
> timer mode."
>
> In Eclipse, I get this error dialog:
>
> "FATAL: An error occured running opcontrol.   Reason:  Exit code of
> opcontrol indicates failure".
>
> In this scenario, I force the "timer interrupt mode" by doing "modprobe
> oprofile timer=1", since the NMI mode doesn't seem to work for me (runs,
> but captures no event), maybe because I run in an emulated environment
> (VirtualBox).
>
> Any idea or suggestions?   Should I fill-in a bug report?

I don't have much experience with the oprofile plug-in. Is there some way of listing out the commands that the plug-in is sending to OProfile?

Are you able to run OProfile without the plug-in from the command line?
Also did an earlier version of oprofile/eclipse-plugin work in the same environment?

-Will