Re: [linuxtools-dev] Supporting nightly updates for previous release

> I was briefly discussing this with Andrew, but thought I would pose the
> idea here for comment.
>
> At present, we are building nightly updates from trunk.  For the most
> part, this isn't a problem.  However, when we make any changes that
> require latest versions of underlying plugins (e.g. we use a new
> platform interface or we switch to requiring latest CDT, Mylyn, etc..),
> then nightly updates may no longer apply to the previous release as they
> don't meet prereqs.
>
> I would like to propose that we support multiple versions of a plugin on
> the update site where necessary so that the previous release of Eclipse
> can still acquire nightly updates.
>
> For example, there is a new way of getting a CDT translation unit that
> doesn't violate API annotations and Autotools should use this new API.
> It only exists in CDT 7 which means that I will have to branch Autotools
> into a Galileo maintenance branch once I make the fix in trunk.  If I
> make any fixes to Autotools after that, there is no current mechanism
> for getting them to end-users via the normal nightly update system.
>
> Ideally I would like to have it set up so there is one nightly update
> site that contains latest fixes for either Galileo or Helios, but I
> think it would also be ok to just set up a separate site for Galileo if
> mixing multiple levels of plugins is not worth the effort.
>
> Comments?

With the number of contributions I doubt we will be able to keep things
working for two platform releases. (I'm sure I can not promise that for the
RPM editor and stubby).
Anyway this may benefit some of the subprojects but others should be allowed to
make use of the new APIs without taking care of backward compatibilities once
Helios is out.

Alex