[linuxtools-dev] Supporting nightly updates for previous release

I was briefly discussing this with Andrew, but thought I would pose the idea here for comment.

At present, we are building nightly updates from trunk. For the most part, this isn't a problem. However, when we make any changes that require latest versions of underlying plugins (e.g. we use a new platform interface or we switch to requiring latest CDT, Mylyn, etc..), then nightly updates may no longer apply to the previous release as they don't meet prereqs.

I would like to propose that we support multiple versions of a plugin on the update site where necessary so that the previous release of Eclipse can still acquire nightly updates.

For example, there is a new way of getting a CDT translation unit that doesn't violate API annotations and Autotools should use this new API. It only exists in CDT 7 which means that I will have to branch Autotools into a Galileo maintenance branch once I make the fix in trunk. If I make any fixes to Autotools after that, there is no current mechanism for getting them to end-users via the normal nightly update system.

Ideally I would like to have it set up so there is one nightly update site that contains latest fixes for either Galileo or Helios, but I think it would also be ok to just set up a separate site for Galileo if mixing multiple levels of plugins is not worth the effort.

Comments?

-- Jeff J.

Back to the top