Re: [linux-distros-dev] A bit of a reboot

Andrew Overholt a écrit :
We're never going to avoid either method of installation.  There are
potential points of integration with p2 and PackageKit.
Seem to be something that we can rely on - I have experiment with the rpm stubby plugin and the OSGI dependency extractor script and my conclusion was that it was possible to generate entires specfiles [1] and automatically generate provides and requires packages (at less from a upstream feature). From what I remember me, there was some stuff that need manual modifications but the only one that can give us problems was the name of the packages.

So the Idea is,
1. a new update is available though p2.
2. a system detect it using p2 API.
3. a system generate a specfile and whatever .deb need.
4. a system send mails on all packagers of that given bundle.
5. each distro can build that package using they own build system.
6. the update is available though distros specific update tools and through p2 integrated with packagekit.

Btw, I have plan to give the possibility to install packages using PackageKit in the specfile editor (the idea to add a bouton 'a la jdt' in the mouse hover popup for non installed packages, maybe a plugin to install, uninstall and seach package can be useful for all distros too.

I know that the stuff need some work, but once that stuff is done we can more easily packaging and maintain our distros specific packages.

[1] I thing (but I know nothing about .deb packaging) that all these stuff can done for Debian packages too.

Cheers,
Alphonse

Back to the top