[linux-distros-dev] "Bringing Eclipse technology to Linux distribution users"

Hi,

One of our stated goals is $subject.  I've been thinking a lot about
this recently in light of the provisioning work and I've come to the
conclusion even more now that accomplishing this is best achieved
through distro packages.  As such, creating tools to make distribution
packaging of Eclipse bits very easy will help us achieve our goal.  I
think these tools will be used by distribution packagers first and
foremost but there's also the possibility that the actual project
developers could use them if they so chose.  But I think getting
upstream projects to interact directly with distros is out of scope :) .

I really want all distributions -- okay, as many as possible -- to carry
lots of Eclipse bits.  There will, of course, have to be some
distro-specific stuff.  Here are some efforts going on in Fedora-land to
ease the job of packagers:

Ben Konrath has lots of thoughts regarding building features/plugins and
has expressed interest in coming up with a reliable headless build
mechanism that distributions can use.  This should be distro-agnostic.

To go along with that, we have Kyu Lee's work on automatically mirroring
OSGi versioning information in RPMs (this is where some .deb cohorts
could help).  Once he gets that going and determines that it works in
all cases, he's going to move up to "stubby" which will give as much of
an RPM specfile as possible for any given feature.  If we can't get
upstream projects to release proper source tarballs/zips, then we can
make stubby also generate these from CVS/SVN tags.  Getting things into
distributions will require the building to take place in the distro's
build systems, but that goes without saying.

We want to deliver the Eclipse technology through channels and using
methods that distribution users expect:  apt-get, emerge, yum, etc.
This has the added benefit of not breaking distribution-level mechanisms
and conventions.

I think we're well within reach of making it easy to accomplish one of
our stated goals.  Then we can focus more on integration and the
creation of tools, etc. that are really useful to our communities.

Take care,

Andrew

P.S. Sorry to the Gentoo crew for my binary distribution viewpoint.
Just replace "build system" and "packages" with "user's system" and
"ebuilds" as you see fit ;)