Re: [lepido-dev] Technology PMC Project Review

Ross Gardler wrote:

> > A review of the newsgroup would similarly reveal almost no activity. In
> > fact the most recent posts go unanswered, other than by myself (but
> > I'm not a committer).
> >
> > There are also outstanding patches, admittedly, only one, but that is
> > 50% of the donated patches since the projet started.
> >
> > I believe one of the problems with this project is that people just want
> > to use it and the code, as it stands, is not really usable, although it
> > could be with just a little polishing. Withut committers who are
> > committed to doing that polishing and stimulating the community it
> > will never become what it promises to be.
> >
> > My conclusion...
> >
> > The project is dead with respect to active developers, but not dead with
> > respect to interest. I for one am still very interested in the
> > intentions of this project. However, time is against me right now, as I
> > suspect it is for all parties named on the original proposal.

Exactly. When we intially started Lepido, we wanted to dedicate time and
resources to it, but that was hindered by the need for people to work on
paid projects. We also learned in the process that the "return on
investment" in building an opensource tool is very different from
building an opensource framework, which is what we've been involved in
for years.

We (the initial contributors) had planned to take a decision on the
future of Lepido, and your message, Wayne, shows that now's the time to
make that decision. I'll report the outcome of our internal discussions
in the coming days.

If other people like Ross feel the itch and can dedicate the time to
unfreeze the project, they will happily be welcomed in the committer group.

Sylvain

-- Sylvain Wallez http://bluxte.net Apache Software Foundation Member

Back to the top