Re: [jwt-dev] Execute a Process in a Workflow Editor View

Hi Christophe

First thanks for your interest in JWT, and welcome to the JWT community !

I like your idea of simulating / executing a process "in the editor" by flagging steps in red or green. As you say, AgilPro has a desktop-based process simulator, but the simulation is not done on the editor.

However it's not that easy.

On the execution level :

Something as simple as a loop implies a step that gets a new instance in a given process each time the loop goes on (like in a validation / review process, where the reviewer doesn't approve but requires changes), and this requires to manage the state of steps.
Then you've got decision guard expressions that you have be able to evaluate, and variables that they might use, not to say anything of scripts.
So all of this requires almost a real engine - or you'll have severe limitations in the kind of processes that you can execute. We've thought about embedding one (ex. embeddable XPDL Bonita engine) in an OSGi bundle and using the JWT WAM WorkflowService (already implemented in OW2 Scarbo - http://scarbo.ow.org ) to control it. But you could also use the AgilPro Simulator, I guess.

Now about using the JWT editor as UI of the executed process :

I'd separate : 1. displaying execution info on the process UI (like which step is done, what are the up-to-date values of the variables) and 2. using the process UI to let the user input information (like in a form).
I think that 1. is really doable, but I let our UI expert (Chris !) answer with more details.
On the other hand, 2. is harder, but even more so because at execution time, input has to be done at a fixed point in time and state variables are global to the executed process, which is the opposite of how things are at design time. I'd rather have a read-only graph, with runtime info displayed on it, and from time to time a (modal) form springs up to the user asking him to fill the required info.

So first, without going further, does it still match your needs ?

Regards,
Marc Dutoo
Open Wide