[jwt-dev] The future of JWT

Dear friends of JWT,

in the last week (as you might have been aware of) the Eclipse Summit Europe happened in Ludwigsburg. During the conference (which Marc Dutoo, Chris Saad, Alain Boulze and I from the JWT project attended among many others) we had the opportunity to join a meeting from the newly instituted SOA industry working group (IWG).

As part of this working group, also a restructuring of the former Eclipse STP project will take place: it will be renamed to “Eclipse SOA project” in order to get more awareness by the possible end-users.

We, from the JWT project, now have the possibility to move to this newly created Eclipse SOA top-level project (TLP): during the meeting the members of the new Eclipse SOA TLP agreed upon such a move.

Marc, Chris and I discussed this migration from the Technology TLP (which we are now part of) to the new SOA TLP and decided that we should do that in the near future to be also integrated in marketing actions that will start in the next weeks for the new SOA TLP and IWG.

We already asked Wayne Beaton as Technology PMC-lead and the board and mentor of the JWT project and they also agreed upon such a move (or at least did not reject it).

The JWT project has not only SOA in the focus (as we also support other workflow engines and notations) and we are surely aware of that! But, the SOA TLP would assist our possible users better to find us then the Technology project does right now.

What does this mean for you?

In the first place, nothing. We will organize a move review and then we’ll probably switch at one point of time from the Eclipse CVS to probably the Eclipse SVN (as all other SOA projects are currently hosted on SVN). Besides that, you won’t find any difference. It might be interesting for you that we plan to graduate from incubation together with the Helios release which we again (after Galileo) will be involved in.

In addition there will be some personal changes in the next months in the JWT project: as my time working as a researcher at the University of Augsburg will soon be finished (and my Ph.D. thesis is near completion), I will step back as a project co-lead and let other committers of JWT fill this space. I plan to stay an active committer on JWT, but don’t know yet what my next job will bring – so I can’t say for sure how it will be... This change of project co-lead will probably take place in one of the next releases. You’ll hear more about that soon.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Florian

JWT project co-lead

University of Augsburg, Germany