[jetty-users] Can't edit files, locked by server

I have an ancient Jetty 8.1.4 plus Derby plus JDK 1.7 plus portable Notepad++ setup which I used to give to students about a decade ago as a self-contained distro in a zipfile. (Yes, I know I should update the Jetty version, not to mention the Derby, Java and Notepad++ versions, but please bear with me anyway.)

I now want to give a new group of students the same setup, but my problem is that when a file is opened via the server, it's locked and can't be edited. I have the following in my jetty.xml:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Default</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.DefaultServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>useFileMappedBuffer</param-name>
      <param-value>false</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

  <servlet id="jsp">
    <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
      <param-value>DEBUG</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>compilerSourceVM</param-name>
      <param-value>1.7</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>compilerTargetVM</param-name>
      <param-value>1.7</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>fork</param-name>
      <param-value>false</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>useFileMappedBuffer</param-name>
      <param-value>false</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>keepgenerated</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

I thought that setting "useFileMappedBuffer" to "false" was the way to avoid file locking, but after all these years I seem to be misremembering. What do I need to do to allow files to be edited after the server has accessed them?

John English

https://www.avg.com

Back to the top