[jetty-dev] updating handlers in running state

Hello,

I have a project that relies on Jetty 6's feature of updating handlers
while the server is in a running state.  Preparing for Jetty 7, I'm
having a bit of
trouble working around the latest handler api changes.

The difficulty involves our use of jsvc.  The server is started in the
init jsvc lifecycle method (running as root to bind to port 80), and
the handlers are attached in the start jsvc lifecycle method (running
as a less privileged user).  This approach seems to be incompatible
with Jetty 7 trunk at the moment.  From the mailing list discussions
and svn commit messages that I've seen, it appears that at least part
of the reason for the removal of the handler update functionality is
to simplify the api and mitigate api confusion.

If this happens to be the sole reason for the change, are there plans
to support this sort of thing in the api (something like
HotSwapHandler that supports the running state or a mutable
HandlerCollection)?

If not, is there a technical reason that we couldn't/shouldn't
implement this functionality ourselves in a fashion similar to how it
was implemented in Jetty 6?

Cheers,
joe

Back to the top