Re: [jetty-dev] too many jars? jetty-util jetty-io jetty-http ???

Jesse McConnell wrote:
> I'll expand tomorrow but I am of the mind that if we want to allow for
> an aggregate mechanism for people to consume jetty other then through
> the maven dependency resolution or normal download bundles...we need
> to take a step back a bit and look at all the different ways it is
> consumed and look for the natural breaks.

That's what I was trying to do :)

I think you (and dyu) are advocating my option c:

>> c) leave io,http,continuation separate, but have a jetty-common
>> aggregation module that builds an combined jar.

and that is indeed my preferred option - to leave the
current modules more or less as they are.  So
jetty-foo contains org.eclipse.jetty.foo   and nothing
else.

> personally, I think we ought to stick with what we have in svn right
> now...and then let users as us for aggregations that they might want
> or need down the road.  It is super easy to make aggregation
> assemblies, but once we start making 2,3,10 of these different
> aggregations, coupled with debs, rpms, p2 update sites, distribution
> downloads (zip, tgz, etc), yadda yadda yadda...most people will be
> consuming through one of these mechanisms anyway...

So at this stage, I'd like to start defining the conventions for
aggregates - as there is already some demand for them (specially
the client jar).

What I want to avoid is what we've already done with jetty-runner,
which is an aggregate, but it is not clear that it is.

As we get more and more aggregates, it will be very important that
we keep them distinct from the core modules, so that when
jetty-kitchensink comes along, we don't have to rely on interpretation
of the name to guess if it is an aggregate or not.

Note that I've already started distinguishing names - as I've
renamed:

   jetty-embedded-examples   -> example-jetty-embedded
   jetty-test-webapp         -> test-jetty-webapp

So now there are example-* and test-* modules that are
distinct from the core jetty-* modules

So I'm still looking for a good naming convention to
distinguish aggregates:

jetty-client-aggregate    // too long and aggregates. doesn't sort nice
jetty-client-all          // "all" is overloaded. doesn't sort nice
jetty-all-client          // "all" is overloaded. does sort nice  - but not bad
jetty-deps-client         // deps implies client not included.  does sort nice
jetty--client             // too subtle.  does sort nice
JETTY-client              // even more subtle and does not sort on windows
jetty-combined-client     // hmmmmm

currently my favourite is probably -- still  , so we would have:

jetty--http-client    # just the HTTP client
jetty--http-server    # just the HTTP server
jetty--server         # The server + bells + whistle
jetty--all            # everything

but I'm very open to be convinced about better names and/or boundaries

thoughts

Back to the top