[jdt-ui-dev] Always need for bug # in commit msg?

I've been using Eclipse for Java development for a couple of years now, and may have found a JDT issue on BugZilla that I would like to fix, thereby contributing to the great product I use on a daily basis.

The thing is, though, that I've never worked on an open source project before and so I would like to start off by committing something a bit smaller and easier. I have found some code that I believe does not quite follow the code convention and thought of updating it.

The contribution wiki page (http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_UI/How_to_Contribute) says that I need to include the bug number in the commit message. Do I need to file a bug report for the code convention deviations or can I just go ahead and fix them and then push to Gerrit?

Thanks a lot in advance, I look forward to getting into this.
Regards
Robin

--
Robin Henricsson