Re: [jdt-ui-dev] Refactorings

We have a short paper that appeared in the OOPSLA addendum of this year.
It describes the overall refactoring approach. Do you have access to this
addendum?

                    "Dirk
                    Baeumer/ZRH/OTI"          To:     jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    <Dirk_Baeumer@oti.        cc:
                    com>                      Subject:     Re: [jdt-ui-dev] Refactorings
                    Sent by:
                    jdt-ui-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    16.11.2001 11:01
                    Please respond to
                    jdt-ui-dev

Hi Jens,

unfortunatelly the conversion of SEF to the new text change infrastructure
has already been done.
What IMO would be a good starting point to get familiar with the current
refactoring infrastrucuture
is to extend the SEF refactoring. It has currently the following
limitations:

- doesn,'t work for base types. The reason is, that you have to do a deeper
analysis of the write access
  statements since base types allow prefix and postfix operators. Consider
the following example:

        int x;
        int i= x= field++;
  This can't be easily transformed using a setter method (see also
SelfEncapsulateFieldRefactoring.checkActivation()).

- doesn't support write access which are used in another expression. For
example int x= field= y; In this
  case the setter method has to return the assigned value (see also
AccessAnalyzer.checkParent()).

Jens what do you think about extending SEF to handle those cases correctly.
You could come up with a small proposal
how to fix these cases. This gives you an easy appreciation to refactoring
without having the need to understand the
whole AST, Refactoring UI, and change infrastructure.

Dirk

   "Jens Lukowski"
   <jens.lukowski@xxxxxx>               To:        "Jdt-Ui-Dev@Eclipse.
   Sent by:                     Org" <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   jdt-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx         cc:
                                        Subject:        [jdt-ui-dev]
                                Refactorings
   15.11.2001 20:50
   Please respond to jdt-ui-dev

Hi

I would like to implement some refactorings.
I have taken a look at the SelfEncapsulateField(SEF) refactoring.
Is the migration to the new text change infrastructure already done
for this refactoring ?
if so, I would like to start with some new ones.
I have the book by Martin Fowler.
Is there any refactoring which is preferred ???
what about the try/catch selection block code generation ?

and what about things like connectors/ports from
the architecture systems ? (I implemented them once
as part of my study in a similar system like the "compiler" used here
which was developed by compiler builders for integrating things
like AOP, architecture systems, refactorings and so on, all as a
precompiler...)

greetings
 Jens Lukowski