Re: AW: [jdt-ui-dev] What to do?

Re: bugs>I can find them but since there are several
nicely put <g>, I did a clean-up pass over our bugs during the last
couple of days, so the situation has improved. Over 200 bugs could
be squashed since they were obsolete or were already fixed.

>since bugs seemed to be assigned to someone
>I didn't know if it's useful to start with any bug since
>somebody could fix it while I was fixing it myself...
don't hesitate to contact the assignee and tell him that you are
investigating.

Working on bug fixes is a good start. It allows us
to start collaborating in small steps. Small steps make it easier for us to
give
feedback and provide gentle correction. Even if you contribute something
bigger we should always try to deliver in smaller steps.

>btw do you checkout all the source from the
>CVS or just the JDT(-UI) and use the nightly builds?
very good point! We haven't explained how to set-up a workspace for
making contributions. If you want to start on a single plugin then I
suggest
that you look into PDE (plugin development environment). It supports plugin
development and there is documentation about it in the drops.

We are working on additional tools that will make the workspace
set-up even simpler. These tools should be available in a week or
two.

--erich

                    "Jens Lukowski"
                    <jens.lukowski@gmx        To:     "Jdt-Ui-Dev@Eclipse. Org" <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    .de>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     AW: [jdt-ui-dev] What to do?
                    jdt-ui-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    12.11.2001 20:58

Erich,

thanx for your help

<Jens,
Philippe we follow-up with some details regarding the formatter, it looks
like
refactoring is a better start.>

yes, sounds like Phillipe wants to give the formatter a re-design

<Given that we have just started OS we would be interested
what kind of information you are missing from our site>

<- do you understand how JDT is structured into components (the home pages
should help here)>

I think I got a rough understanding from the Technical Overview pdf
document

<- is there enough information about what we are currently doing?>

I think the list on the project page is pretty much complete and
gives a good overview

<- do you find your way to our bugs in bugzilla?>

I can find them but since there are several
I didn't took a look at everyone
and since bugs seemed to be assigned to someone
I didn't know if it's useful to start with any bug since
somebody could fix it while I was fixing it myself...

<Finally, a good start to learn about the refactoring code is to look at
the
self-encapsulate-field implementation.>

I will take a look at it

btw do you checkout all the source from the CVS or just the JDT(-UI)
and use the nightly builds ?

greetings
Jens