Re: [jdt-dev] Fwd: [eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core] Run failed: Publish Unit Test Results - master (92fba49)

Hi Stephan,

Long story short: https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/pull/1389

For the details:

1) the ci.yml workflow only runs on a push to any branch ( line 8 ) but it does not run on a pull request, therefore you only see it if anything is actually merged to the repository or pushed to a branch on the repository, I can't tell if it was intentional so I left it unchanged

2) the unit-tests.yml is triggered by the ci.yml afterwards but has missing some important things 2.1) it needs to upload the event file so the workflow can gather some additional context information
2.2) it needs to be uploaded the test-results produced by ci.yml

3) to prevent projects from doing all this tedious work there is actually a so called "unified workflow" see for example [1] which is triggered for PR and PUSHES and perform the "usual" work recommended for a platform project

4) I already tried to establish that here [2] but did not get much support in resolving some of the test-configuration issues and instead it ended in a general rant about if/how to handle test failures so it is somehow abandoned.

In general I can help with any build issues or details about github workflows, but if people just constantly IGNORE issues and just feel annoyed it hard to improve the situation, so if you see any further issues just open a ticket on github and mention me (there are just to many malinglists and github projects to watch them all).

About the emails, I think the one who merges the PR will receive the mail about failing workflows as a result of that mail as it usually means "you have merged something but some checks for this commit failed" so if yo merge many things you of course getting this mail probably more often.

HTH
Christoph

[1] https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform/blob/master/.github/workflows/ci.yml
[2] https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.debug/pull/237