Re: [jdt-dev] Telling GitHub to rebuild, rebase, ...

> On Sep 11, 2022, at 07:20, Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Just one question:
>
> Are there *that* many contributions to JDT that one really can reject a valuable contribution just because the person uses (or dont uses) force push? Just a thought...

On the flip side, contributions are pointless if the subject matter expert is not able to review them because they require additional work to process. Thus, I think it's a matter of cooperation on being respectful.

You can't optimize workflows for contributions only when the cost implies dumping more work or requiring more time from committers/smes. In the case of JDT, especially the compiler internals needs very careful reviews from a subject matter expert. This might be different in other areas of JDT (eg JDT UI). Thus, having those conventions or rules documented upfront for the community (including some information were they apply or not apply) is not a bad thing. You will be surprised of how open contributors can be when things are communicated upfront.

-Gunnar

Back to the top