Re: [jdt-dev] Telling GitHub to rebuild, rebase, ...

From incoming answers I seem to understand that everybody knows something but there's no clear consensus of what should be done when. I could see a tendency that Eclipse doesn't care, *how* GitHub is used, since everybody can just search the net for how others are using it.

If, however, JDT still prefers a coordinated, somewhat uniform approach, I'd suggest: let's first agree on *where* the results of this discussion should be captured (I regard a mailing list as the least suitable option for this).

Should we maintain jdt.core's CONTRIBUTING.md accordingly? Should we coordinate and push this into the next level (JDT)?

As further indication that more coordination would be desirable: concerning rebase Läubi suggested to "Simply rebase your change and push it". Just now - incidentally - I found that .github/workflows/rebase.yml implements exactly what I was asking for :)

best,
Stephan

Am 09.09.22 um 09:10 schrieb Jayaprakash Arthanareeswaran:
For the last item you just mentioned, if it helps, we can issue guideline asking
Contributors to just push delta to their branch and avoid force push branch.

Regards,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: jdt-dev <jdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Stephan Herrmann
Sent: 08 September 2022 18:55
To: jdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jdt-dev] Telling GitHub to rebuild, rebase, ...

One more thing:

In the gerrit era, it was always transparent what was changed from one changeset to the next. In GitHub it seems to be popular to just force-push the latest and greatest, which seems like reviewers will have to start reviewing from scratch, or is there some magic incantation that will show them differences between the current branch and one that no longer exists?

best,
Stephan