Re: [jdt-dev] "clean up" again

I don't have the energy to read all this while the discussion is going in circles, so this is just a random answer here and there:

Mickael:

> An OSS project community that is not willing to welcome and train new contributors is IMO putting an extremely high risk on the project of dying as soon as a few individuals reduce their investment (for whichever reason). This risk is strategically much bigger than the risk of something broken in the code from time to time.

What is this statement written to jdt-dev mailing list saying? Are you saying JDT developers are not welcoming new contributors? Generally? If that's what you are saying, then it's another example of what I perceive as insulting.

Andrey:

> If RH/whoever wants to invest in JDT, the right way is to encourage people to work on *real* JDT bugs, so they can startto learn JDT, instead of encouraging people to apply automatic cleanups.

I couldn't agree more.

It's strange, from what I'm reading in this thread all those who do the hard work agree pretty much on what matters and how to proceed. We agree that each code change must solve some problem that is proportional to the amount of dust that is stirs.

As for the bigger picture: I also never had issues with developers from other components or with releng, when they point me to a problem where JDT is involved. You all know that. Why is all of the Eclipse SDK on maven central, e.g.?

Those who ever had closer contact with the code area that I feel responsible for don't even seem to have any problem with the possibility that I will veto certain changes. They know that this is a necessary aspect of taking responsibility and they know I can be brought to change my mind when presented with solid technical reasoning. Just mentioning Till should suffice for illustration: here's a committer, whom I have mentored to the point where he is able to prove me wrong from time to time :) OTOH, management speak and software engineering 101 is unlikely to add any information that I didn't yet consider.

Let's please just stop here and agree: Every solution is only useful when it matches a real problem. Show me the problem. If the problem is real, let's find a solution. Life could be so easy.

Stephan

Back to the top