Re: [jdt-debug-dev] Halt button is not available when application is running.

Thanks, Darin.

I understood that the buttons should be enabled according to the element
selected in the debug view.  My question is that why there is nothing
selected when an application is running in Eclipse 3.2, which is different
from the previous release.

Thanks,

Xuan Chen,  Problem Determination Tools for iSeries
(905) 413-3769 T/L 969-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

             Darin
             Wright/Ottawa/IBM
             @IBMCA                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse JDT Debug developers
             jdt-debug-dev-bou         list." <jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             nces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/13/2006 09:18          Re: [jdt-debug-dev] Halt button is
             AM                        not available when application is
                                       running.

             Please respond to
               "Eclipse JDT
             Debug developers
                  list."
             <jdt-debug-dev@ec
                lipse.org>

The terminate button should only be 'enabled' when an element in the debug
view is selected that supports termination. The action should be disabled
when nothing is selected (otherwise it's not clear what the action will
terminate). So, this is working as expected.

The terminate button in the console is enabled for its associated process,
as long as the process is not terminated.

Darin Wright

 Xuan
 Chen/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
 Sent by:                                                               To
 jdt-debug-dev-bounces@ecl          "Eclipse JDT Debug developers list."
 ipse.org                           <jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

 06/12/2006 04:31 PM                                               Subject
                                    [jdt-debug-dev] Halt button is not
                                    available when application is
     Please respond to              running.
     "Eclipse JDT Debug
     developers list."

Hi,

Our product includes a debugger which is built on top of Eclipse debug
support.  When we moved to Eclipse 3.2, M4, we noticed that when the
application is running, the Halt and Terminate buttons are not available
any more, since there is nothing selected in the debug view.   But in
previous release of Eclipse, when an application is running, the Halt and
Terminate button were available, since one of the threads will always been
selected.  This cause some usability issue of our debug support.

I was able to reproduce this in the Eclipse Java debugger in M4 of Eclipse
3.2.  It is not exactly the same.  While a Java application is running (I
just used an infinite loop), there is nothing selected in the debugger
view.  The Halt button is not available, but the terminate button is
available.

Just wondering if it is a known problem?  If not, can I open a bug for it?