[jdt-debug-dev] Logging exceptions

I have been working on how the Debug plugins log exceptions.
Some things that I have learned:

SomeDebugPlugin.log(IStatus) is only useful if you know for sure that the status contains an exception.

Otherwise all that is reported to the log is a one line message that gives no context (stack trace).

Generally I believe in most cases (99%?), developers want to use SomeDebugPlugin.log(Throwable).

This call wraps the throwable in a status so the log is sure to have the stack trace....which is what we really need to
solve any problems.

FYI, the errorDialog methods on the debug plugins will always log the status/exception.

My two cents
Darins

Back to the top