Re: [jdt-core-dev] Want to Volunteer to contribute to the project

Hi, Derrick!  Thanks for your offer.  The best way to begin contributing is to grab an unassigned bug and see if you can come up with a patch for it!  There is a nice article on this at [1].  There is also some information at [2] - this is specific to the Platform but the same ideas apply for JDT.

If you are interested in annotation processing, we could really use some developer resources on the APT subcomponent of JDT; there are a lot of open bugs, I'm the only developer on it, and my availability has been extremely limited.  Contact me offline if you would like ideas about what bug to take.

Please note that if you do contribute a patch, there is a legal process that must be followed in order for that patch to be committed to the Eclipse codebase, to keep the intellectual property clear.  There is a very nice poster describing the steps at [3].  It'll be the person who commits the patch who has to follow these steps, but you should read them so that you understand what rules you need to follow - in particular, if you are currently employed, your employer may need to approve your contribution.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-How-to-Fix-a-Bug-in-Eclipse/index.html
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute
[3] http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf

Thanks,