[jdt-core-dev] auto version projects with maven, and the eclipse javadoc annotations that will make it better

I'm in the process of writing a contribution to maven.

I'm creating a artifact version management library that will be used to enforce backwards compatibility or demand version number increases.

There's a fairly long thread on maven-dev-lists about this here, but to summarize:

use maven capabilities to look up the last released artifact

use clirr or sigtest to calculate api changes and severity (alternative implementations will be possible for other languages) between the current classes and the classes in the older jar file.
(not tied to maven at all)

convert them to a standard Delta representation (in this case a JavaDelta)
(again not tied to maven)

filter those deltas using various processes.
(again not tied to maven)

Calculate a recommend version number based on those deltas and a strategy class:
(targeting apache portable version standard first, then osgi version strategy)

indicate errors to the developer (log the deltas that caused the version number to be higher than it currently is in the pom file, and the recommended version number and maybe break the build)

One of the filters I'm looking at building is based on eclipse javadoc annotations:

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/reference/api-tooling/api_javadoc_tags.htm

I would use these annotations to limit the severity of a delta detected on the class.

I want to create jdk1.5 annotations based on these names.

Wondering if this will work well with eclipse?  What are your plans (if any) for those javadoc annotations?

Thanks,

Rex

Back to the top