[jdt-core-dev] Re: patch for cleanup of API in org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package

Thanks Jim. I guess we are not used to this kind of change so we have no
procedure. So here is what I propose we do when we want to remove a
temporary API next time:

1. We first try to identify the clients of the API
2. If there is none, then we remove the API and we're done
3. If there is some, we cannot remove it right away as this prevents us
from patching org.eclipse.jdt.core
4. We should send a message to the corresponding mailing list(s) (as you
did)
5. If a client vetoes the removal, we hold it off
6. If we get approval from clients (or if we get no answer), we release the
removal just before the integration build

It appears that sending a patch doesn't help clients as they cannot see the
'use this method instead' comment any longer.

A variant of (6) would be: we release the change just before we do the
preview (usually on Monday, 8am EST) so that clients using the preview will
see the removals. However this has the same drawback as sending a patch
(clients cannot see the 'use this method instead' comment any longer).

Comments on this procedure are welcome.

Jerome

|         |           Jim des          |
|         |           Rivieres@IBMCA   |
|         |           04/01/2004 08:27 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                       |
  |       To:      Philippe P Mulet/France/IBM@IBMFR, Jerome Lanneluc/France/IBM@IBMFR                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                             |
  |       Subject: patch for cleanup of API in org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package(Document link: Jerome Lanneluc (IBM))     |
  |                                                                                                                       |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Philippe and Jerome,

Here's the patch to remove the deprecated API from org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom
package (and a separate patch for test suites):

I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I've held off releasing anything to HEAD.
Let me know if you want me to release it.

Regards, jim

             Philippe P Mulet
             <philippe_mulet@f
             r.ibm.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             jdt-ui-dev-admin@         jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/01/2004 01:09          [jdt-ui-dev] Re: [jdt-debug-dev]
             PM                        cleanup of API in
                                       org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package

             Please respond to
                jdt-ui-dev

The current plan is to remove these for next integration build, unless we
hear back from you that there would be a major reason to not migrate.

             Jim des Rivieres
             <Jim_des_Rivieres
             @ca.ibm.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             jdt-debug-dev-adm         jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             in@xxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/01/2004 06:56          [jdt-debug-dev] cleanup of API in
             PM                        org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package

             Please respond to
               jdt-debug-dev

JDT Core wants to remove the following API methods and fields for next
integration build. All these API elements were introduced earlier in the
3.0 cycle; most have been deprecated for a couple of builds now.  If you
are still using any of these, please change your code to use the new
replacements.

org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package

AST.K_EXPRESSION
AST.K_STATEMENTS
AST.K_CLASS_BODY_DECLARATIONS
AST.newParameterizedType(Name typeName)
AST.parse(int kind, char[] source, int offset, int length, Map options)
AST.parseCompilationUnit(ICompilationUnit unit, boolean resolveBindings,
WorkingCopyOwner owner)
AST.parseCompilationUnit(ICompilationUnit unit, boolean resolveBindings,
WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)
AST.parseCompilationUnit(IClassFile classFile, boolean resolveBindings,
WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)
AST.parseCompilationUnit(char[] source, String unitName, IJavaProject
project, WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)
AST.parseCompilationUnit(char[] source, Map options)
AST.parsePartialCompilationUnit(ICompilationUnit unit, int position,
boolean resolveBindings, WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)
AST.parsePartialCompilationUnit(IClassFile classFile, int position,
boolean resolveBindings, WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)
AST.parsePartialCompilationUnit(IClassFile classFile, int position,
boolean resolveBindings, WorkingCopyOwner owner, IProgressMonitor monitor)

ParameterizedType.NAME_PROPERTY
ParameterizedType.getName()
ParameterizedType.setName(Name typeName)

SingleVariableDeclaration.VARIABLE_ARITY_PROPERTY
SingleVariableDeclaration.isVariableArity()
SingleVariableDeclaration.setVariableArity(boolean)

MethodDeclaration.isVariableArity()

Thanks,
jim