Re: [jdt-core-dev] Analyzing class dependencies

> Jan,
>
> the latest Eclipse build (I20030422) already contains a call graph
> view. So you might want to look at this before you start implementing
> your own. May be you can extend this one.

Dirk,

Thank you for the reply. I just checked the new "Call Hierarchy" view:
it appears like a stripped down version of dk.kamstruplinnet.callers,
which is a very useful plugin, but rather far from what I mean.

My plugin is intended to give a global view of dependencies between
classes and especially packages in an entire project, maybe compute
some metrics, maybe provide easy access to certain refactorings.

> Are you aware of the org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom package? It contains
> public classes to build an AST for a compilation unit, so there is no
> need to hack the internal compiler to achieve your goals.

Yes, I tried to use those classes. Parsing a compilation unit and
resolving type bindings through this API takes upwards of 500 ms.
Achieving the same result in a batch compilation takes 14 ms per
compilation unit. I don't know why the difference is so huge.

> The mailing lists are reserved for discussions about evolving Eclips
> itself. User questions like yours are better posted to the news group
> eclipse.tools.jdt.

Ok - I thought my concerns might be closer to the "core" than to
the user interface (see also my other email about package scopes).
But I will ask on eclipse.tools.jdt next time.

Best regards -
Jan Ploski

Back to the top