[jdt-core-dev] visibility, accessibility, hypothetical binding of a name at a point in code

There is a typo in the Subject of the original email.  It should read
"visibility, accessibility, hypothetical binding of a name at a point in
code".

Rory

------------------------------------

Has there ever been discussion on the topic of exposing public jdt-core api
for any of the functionality described below?

- determining what the binding of a given name would be if the name was
referenced at a particular location in code
- determining whether a declaration (possibly identified by a binding) is
visible at a particular location in code
- determining whether an entity (possibly identified by a binding) is
accessible at a particular location in code

      To clarify, an input describing a "location in code" might always
serve to identify an entity (which some might call a "scope", distinct from
Java's "scope of a declaration") consisting of some maximal syntactic
'region' for which there is some fixed set of declarations S for which, at
every 'point' in the 'region', S is equal to the set of declarations whose
scope includes the point.

(Some of the terms used above are defined in The Java Language
Specification 2nd. Ed., sections 6.3 and 6.6)

      I have been told that, in the past, the compiler did expose similar
functionality, although it is now not part of the public jdt-core api.  It
has been suggested to me that there may have been some discussion regarding
whether or not to publicly expose some such functionality.  If such
discussion occurred and was recorded or documented, then how can I access
the recording or documentation?

Back to the top