Re: [jdt-core-dev] Definition of potential match?

Additional info would be hard to surface from the infrastructure, if the
user has built his code already, then a potential match would likely be
located in an area with unresolved compilation errors. So the dialog should
suggest to build and resolve errors first so as not to see these potential
matches anymore. We are being conservative and want to avoid frustrating
the user with missing matches. Maybe a relevance mark would be a better way
to surface the info (like Web search engines).

                    Erich_Gamma@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                    To:     jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    jdt-core-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                  Subject:     Re: [jdt-core-dev] Definition of potential match?

                    12/05/2001 11:32 PM
                    Please respond to
                    jdt-core-dev

I agree that the concept isn't easy to explain, but these matches are
potential
matches and often indicate a problem in a project's build class path.
Simply hiding these matches isn't helpful.

Potential matches can also be useful.
Consider browsing/searching a JAR from a larger system that requires other
JARs that
you don't care about. Potential matches allow me to do searches in such a
JAR without having to set-up a complete build class path. Without support
for potential matches I would get no matches and this would be unexpected
to the user.

A somewhat invasive but supportive solution is to inform the user
in a dialog at the end of a search that some potential matches were found.
The dialog should explain why the matches are only potential matches
(e.g. they match the search text but the types could not be fully resolved
due
to incomplete build class paths). The dialog should provide the option to
not show this info again.

Rather than just hiding or sorting potential matches at the end could we
present them
so that the user understands the concept better, e.g., add a filter as
Randy suggested, show a descriptive text in the status line when
a potential match is selected etc.

--erich

                    "Philippe

                    Mulet/SNZ/OTI"              To:
jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    <Philippe_Mulet@oti.        cc:

                    com>                        Subject:     Re:
[jdt-core-dev] Definition of
                    Sent by:                    potential match?

                    jdt-core-dev-admin@e

                    clipse.org

                    12/05/2001 10:34 AM

                    Please respond to

                    jdt-core-dev

The building is probably the best way to find these issues.

"Daniel Megert/ZRH/OTI" <Daniel_Megert@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: jdt-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/04/2001 04:32 PM
Please respond to jdt-core-dev