[imp-dev] Connecting PDB to IMP discussion

Hi IMPs,

Here's a discussion we'd like to share with you all.

On Nov 23, 2009, at 2:42 AM, Jurgen Vinju wrote:
>> ... I think it would be good (after the LDTA deadline has
>> passed on Dec 6th) to talk about "pdb2imp". I think there is an
>> opportunity and need to link PDB's analyses to the visual interaction
>> of IMP run-time. Examples: programmer provides an analysis that
>> produces reference information, and pdb2imp (maybe in pdb.ui?)
>> provides the reference resolver extension. etc. You dig?

Then Bob replied:
> Naturally, I like the idea of using the PDB to provide the analysis services that underlie various IDE services (like hyperlinking, navigating to program entities by name, etc.). That was 1/2 of the PDB's purpose to begin with.
>
> I'm not sure how to make a *language-independent* bridge between language-specific facts in the PDB and IMP's language-independent runtime, though. I.e., how can we have a single universal fact schema for the reference resolvers of all languages? Or have I misunderstood what you mean by "pdb2imp" ?
> Perhaps we should move this part of the conversation to imp.dev?

Yes. I think we can have at least one universal schema for reference
resolving. Maybe more universal schema's. For example:

Any analysis that produces "rel[loc,loc]", a relation from location to
location can be used to store reference information. In this case one
"hyperlink" may have multiple targets. Another "universal" scheme is
"map[loc,loc]" in which case a "hyperlink" can only have one target.

Cheers,

Jurgen

--
Jurgen Vinju