[imp-dev] LPG on Linux for X86_64 architectures

Hi Philippe,

Time for a little Eclipse arcania... Put on your boots, folks, this may get a bit messy...

Turns out that the binaries I/we had been building on our "newer" server (orquesta) were really for 64-bit (x86_64) Linux, but we were advertising them as 32-bit (plain old x86).

The only reason this worked at all was that the lpg.generator feature manifest was supposed to repeat the platform constraints (os and arch), but wasn't, so all of the plugin fragments for all os'es/ architectures would get installed, regardless of the platform they were actually running on.

People who were running on 64-bit Linux (which is most Linux installations these days, it seems) actually got a workable 64-bit binary, though they may have had to manually point the LPG builder at it.

The Fix:

- I created a new lpg.generator plugin fragment project for 64-bit linux (lpg.generator.linux_x86_64), and placed the appropriate binary in there. This is on the LPG CVS repo on SourceForge, of course.

- I added a MakeRules variant to lpg.generator.cpp/src, so that it's ready to build out of the box.

- I added the appropriate platform constraints to the lpg.generator feature manifest (feature.xml) for each of the plugin fragments.

- I added the new plugin fragment for 64-bit Linux to the lpg.generator feature manifest.

Since this is really about adding support for a "new" platform, I did this retroactively for both 2.0.16 and 2.0.17, on both the IMP and LPG update sites. I haven't done anything to the source/binary distributions on SourceForge. I'll let you take care of those. :-)

Hopefully this will actually take care of install issues people have been having with LPG and IMP, but I don't know yet whether this was the only source of the problems.

Cheers,
  - Bob

Back to the top