[imp-dev] FYI: IMP independence from the JDT and the LPG runtime

Hi All,

Thought I'd mention that I just refactored the IMP runtime to make it entirely independent of the JDT. This is committed to the src repo, but not released on the update site yet (but will be after I come back from a week's vacation).

I did this by a combination of two means: (1) rewriting some code to avoid unnecessary (mostly silly) dependencies on the JDT, and (2) moving the remaining JDT-dependent code elsewhere.

There are two "elsewheres": (1) the new feature org.eclipse.imp.java.hosted, that houses things like Java-specific breakpoint support, and "New Project" wizard classes for Java-hosted languages, and (2) the new plugin org.eclipse.imp.ui.explorer, which houses the "IMP Project Explorer," which I believe no one is yet using. This latter bit of code was going to take more time to rewrite than I felt was justified at the moment.

I was thinking I was also going to factor out the LPG-dependent parts (things like SimpleLPGParseController), but I realized that there was one significant reason *not* to do that:

The preferences value parser (PreferenceValueParser) is an LPG-based parser.

Now, I'm all for making the IMP runtime as agnostic as possible, but I really don't think it's worth (a) writing that parser by hand, or (b) factoring it out of the preference page support, just in order to remove the dependency on the LPG runtime.

So, unless someone has a brilliant idea as to how we can keep a simple, sensible arrangement that factors out the LPG dependency, I propose that we leave it as is.

--
Cheers,
  - Bob

IMP Project Lead (http://www.eclipse.org/imp)