[iam-dev] Reaching out, explaining what we do

Hi guys!

We could be doing a better job in increasing our comunity and providing information. While this is in part caused by the long IP review process and, as a consequence, the lack of releases, I would like to gather feedback on what we could be doing better.
  • Conferences: We've been at Eclipse Summit Europe (me), Apache Con (Carlos) and Eclipse Con (Mike), so this is not bad.
  • Documentation: There is included help after installing (although a bit outdated) but we need to provide much richer information before installing.
    • What's in IAM was a good start, but it is stalled almost from its creation.
  • Blogs: Both Carlos and I have our blogs on http://planet.eclipse.org, which is probably the best way of reaching the Eclipse, but we have not been posting very often.
  • Twitter: I use my personal twitter account (amuino) to post brief news from time to time. I've also started to use the #iam tag to easily identify them (although I'm starting to see it used for other purposes, so maybe I should be using #eclipseiam or something else...)

So what can we do? I would like everybody to submit ideas, but here is a starter:
  • Add content to What's in IAM.
    We need everybody to help with this. It must be brief and visual (very much like the New and Noteworthy from other projects). If the feature is worth it, add a link to a detailed explanation in its own page. Let's clean up the page and remove the grouping of features by releases, changes from previous releases... we are in incubation and we have no releases yet.
  • Posts on Planet Eclipse
    Everybody committer can have his blog (or a subset) syndicated on Planet Eclipse, so if you want to post about what you are doing with Eclipse just request it to be aggregated. On the other hand, if you have a new feature you want to advertise to the community, just send me an email with the draft and I'll publish it as a "guest post".
  • Twitter: Just use add #iam to your tweets (maybe #eclipse too).
  • Add a wiki page with links to the slides from each conference
  • Watch the newsgroups. Personally, I have a feed for the iam newsgroup and use the web interface for answering questions.
  • Watch bugzilla. We currently provide almost no feedback to reporters.

Additional ideas? Volunteers for these tasks?

--
Abel Muiño - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com/

Back to the top