Re: [iam-dev] Very slow project open ...

Yes, I had to set user.home in eclipse.ini before it would work without trying to write to a repository in C:\Users\admin.

And in the Maven preferences, it's pointing to the one and only settings.xml file that I have in my home directory repository.

So it all remains a mystery.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have a way of analyzing the transfer requests to find out (a) why it's going to the repository and (b) why it's failing its connection. :(

Mojo

Abel Muiño Vizcaino wrote:
Are you setting the same user.home environment variable when launching Eclipse? If you're not, q4e/iam wil use the default one (which does not seem to work for you).

Regarding which settings.xml file is being used, you can check on your Eclipse Preferences, Maven section (you can specify a different one if needed).

A different approach would be to set the location of your local repo in the settings.xml file:
<settings>
  <!-- localRepository
   | The path to the local repository maven will use to store artifacts.
   |
   | Default: ~/.m2/repository -->
  <localRepository>/path/to/local/repo</localRepository>

</settings>
--
Abel Muiño Vizcaino <http://www.linkedin.com/in/amuino> - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com

El 28/01/2009, a las 22:54, Morris Jones escribió:

I need help troubleshooting this problem. Perhaps a pointer to a q4e log file.

It sometimes takes me 20-30 minutes to open a project with many dependencies in Eclipse.

The q4e Events window shows a series of transfers for each dependency package, first from our local repository, then twenty seconds later from the central repository. As a result, each package requires a minimum of 20 seconds. This looks suspiciously like a connection timeout.

Maven builds from the command line have no trouble acquiring resources from the local repository. Since I assume both q4e and command line are using the same settings.xml and local repositories, I can't see any reason for this difference. The URL and credentials should be identical.

In every instance, the q4e plug-in is clearly transferring files from the repository that are already in my local repository. No transfer should be required.

I'll mention that I'm running on Vista, and to get Maven to work the way I expected, it was necessary to manually define user.home at Java startup to keep it from trying to make a repository in the Admin home directory instead of my own.

Any suggestions on how I might diagnose this problem? Clearly something is failing ...

Best regards,
Mojo
--
Morris Jones