Re: [iam-dev] Interest in Maven-P2 integration

Took the first few steps at writing a P2 artifact repository factory
and provider.

Some things to decide on before I go further.

1) Do we allow the repository to be modified?

IArtifactFactory has an expectation of GET and PUT of content.
However, the current SimpleArtifactRepository that ships with P2 has a
.isModifiable() test for the repository scheme is "file", it only
allows PUT on file repositories.

We could do the same thing and only allow modifications on file URIs.
Or we can work with an assumption that we will support WebDAV as well
from the get go.
But that leaves other schemes like ftp, cifs, etc... unsupported.
Which leads to the second question ...

2) What transport mechanism should we use?

The SimpleArtifactFactory implementation uses ECF for all transport.
Using ECF ...
* Allows for a great variety of transport mechanisms,
   http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF_Providers#File_Transfer_.28org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer.29
* True interactivity with regards to authentication.
* Vast Proxy support.
* Progress monitoring during "Software Updates" flow
* Progress monitoring during Command Line provisioning.
* And it is the present and future of network communications within Eclipse.

I personally believe that we should use ECF for our communications to
the repository.

Alternate approaches would be ...
* Use Wagon
* Use Mercury

Both of those choices suffer greatly when it comes to Proxy support
and interactive Authentication.

I'm considering a hybrid approach using maven-artifact along with ECF,
but I don't know if that is feasible (yet).

- Joakim