Re: [iam-dev] Re: Ability to convert eclipse java project to maven project

I'd rather see some discussion about the use case being resolved before we start coding the features. Without knowing what we are trying to solve is hard to tell were to implement it.

At first sight, it looks like jdt.core and jdt.ui would be good places (since it is all about converting from jdt to maven). However, it could be general enough to include also wtp to maven, so maybe it deserves its own plug-ins.

I don't see this as a basic feature, so I would not choose iam.wizard or iam.ui.

The current implementation is functional, so just polishing it a bit to give it a nicer UI would be great.
Eclipse has UI guidelines for the projects so they make consistent use of the components. In this case, some text boxes show rounded borders on mac osx (which is reserved for search/filtering).
Feedback on wrong input would also be welcome (like typing an invalid artifactId or groupId). This comes (almost) for free when using a wizard component, that's why I suggested using it.

After that, I would like to provide help to the end user to migrate the dependencies. That's the hardest part and we can help a lot.
For example:
  - we can calculate a digest from each dependency (an MD5) and look it up somewhere to know which dependency is (and do not require the user to enter dependency information). This can use the search framework as one implementation (MD5 info is, I think, on the nexus index) but there are other options like using some webservice from an artifact repository (like Archiva) or CI server (like Hudson fingerprints).
  - we can try to read the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, since it can contain metadata about the jar that can be used to guess the right artifact.
  - we can try to guess with the help of the search framework (i.e. if the file is junit.jar, then we can guess that junit is the artifactId and search the index for matching options). This could be hard to get right.
  - we can help the user in choosing the artifactId, groupId and version (just like the XML editor does)

Maybe there are other ways we can help the user to migrate his projects (not just dependencies), like adding some maven plug-ins under some circumstances...

I think this is (potentially) a very broad topic, so we should define it and choose what to implement.

Allan, since it is your baby, I would like you to lead this. What do you think?