Re: [hyades-dev] Re: Hyades release plans?

Kim,

Let me try and describe the branches and how they work.

Whenever we build a driver all of the files are tagged with a build
identifier.  This allows us to make a branch based upon any build that has
ever been done.  When we shipped 1.2 there was already pending requirements
that certain things be made available on the 1.2 base in short order.
Therefore, a 1.2.1 branch was created from the final 1.2 build.

The HEAD branch  is always our road forward.  As the team executes on a
specific release this code is placed in HEAD branch.  Now, we find
ourselves in a interesting predicament this time around.  We need to be
working on two releases over the next several weeks that are based upon two
different Eclipse bases, 2.1.2, and 3.0.  Knowing that much of the things
people were working on over the next little while was targeting  the 2.1.2
driver of Eclipse the commiters decided that we would put as much of this
into HEAD as possible this week before branching to support both Eclipse
bases.  This branching will be done on January 26th.

Anything that is checked into HEAD before January 26th will be present in
both 1.3 and 3.0.  As of January 26th everything that is checked in HEAD
will only go into 3.0.

Also, as of January 26th, all fixes and features  targeting 1.3 will need
to be merged into both the 1.3 and HEAD branches.

Richard K. Duggan
Problem Determination Enablement
IBM Toronto Laboratory
External: 905-413-2396
Internal: 969-2396

|         |           Kim Coleman      |
|         |           <kcoleman@xxxxxx.|
|         |           com>             |
|         |           hyades-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org      |
|         |           01/22/2004 01:57 |
|         |           hyades-dev       |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                      |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [hyades-dev] Re: Hyades release plans?                                                                                      |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Thanks, Harm, for clearing some of this up for me. It definitely helps. A
couple clarifications, if I may:

> 1.2.1 is in fact being delivered within the week and 1.2.2 will come a
few
> weeks later. However these fix levels are only addition of translated
> files. Leaving us back to focusing on 1.3 and 3.0.

If I check something into HEAD right now, what release will it end up in?
1.2.1, 1.2.2 or 1.3? Or should we not be doing checkins?

> As for the plans, we have the 1.3 requirements published, and the
various
> workgroups are starting up again after the holiday season to assess the
> 1.3 and 3.0 work items.

When you say that the1.3 release feature plans are already published, are
you referring to this document?

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextools.cgi/~checkout~/hyades-home/docs/FeatureAndWorkRequests_1.2.html

It was published back in September. Is it still up to date? I believe
there are data collection runtime and model changes planned now that were
not part of this document because we didn't know we needed them in Sept.
Perhaps other contributors are in the same situation, which is why I asked
about it.

I believe requirements were collected more recently. Are they posted on
the web site somewhere? Or is the Sept. document still the plan of record?

Thanks.

-Kim

Kim Coleman
IBM Rational Software, Cupertino, CA