[hudson-dev] 3.0-M4 Testing day 1 :-(

Hi

Today I got some time to start testing 3.0-M4 in a real life scenario.
I took a copy of our none-live installation and tried to upgrade it to
M4 from 2.1.2. It didn't really go down smoothly :-\

The initial copying and deployment to tomcat went fine. I got the
initial start welcome page like expected. It seemed to correctly list
the plugins it found and showed where there was updates at least for
the recommended/featured plugins. It also recognized that security was
enabled and I needed to log in. So far so good.

The first problem I ran into was that the plugins could not be
downloaded. I got timeout and no route to host exceptions all the time
despite trying multiple times. I tried to delete
$HUDSON_HOME/proxy.xml in case it hadn't been migrated correctly. Now
hudson correctly asked me for a proxy (I am behind corporate proxy),
but event though the proxy testing was successful pluigns refused to
be downloaded.

I worked around the problem by doing "export
http_proxy=http://<myip>;8887/" in the shell and I could use wget to
download them manually into the plugin folder.

My second problem came when hudson was restarted with all the install
wizard completed. After it started up the job list was completely
empty. Inevstigation of the logs showed that the disk-usage plugin was
to blame. disk-usage plugin is using jfreechart which is no longer
present so the job fails to load. I tried adding the jfreechat plugin
to the installation, but that didn't appear to do the trick.Maybe
because the plugin doesn't reference it in its pom file.

There doesn't seem to be a never version of the disk-usage plugin
available, and the one on github under hudson-plugins doesn't seem to
compile.

For me that is 2 showstoppers,

1) Plugin download must work reliably even behind company proxy

2) If Hudson encounter xml for plugins which doesn't work it should
throw away/ignore that configuration, not discard the whole job.

If I can get past the disk-usage issue, I will continue my testing.

Best regards
Henrik

Back to the top