From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Trevithick
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:51 PM
To: higgins-dev
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] Higgins Home page - moving nursery version toproduction

Mary,

Overall, I think we’re moving in a good direction. WRT to the “Client” column/text, I’d suggest these changes to the home page:

  1. End the paragraph after “...on multiple platforms”
  2. Then move the “Overview” link up to here [I’ve written an overview that works for 1.0 and1.1 (see below)]
  3. Then put “For the released Higgins 1.0:”
  4. Then leave the three last bullets just as they are
  5. Then add “Under development for Higgins 1.1”
  6. Then add bullets/links to the three Selector Solutions listed here [1]

The next problem is that the “overview” link in the “Clients” column leads to a page with content that’s all about i-cards but doesn’t provide an overview of what we mean by “client”, “selector”, etc. Here’s the current content of that page (Selector-Overview.php):

I-Card Selector Overview - How to use I-Cards

<image of mouse & cards>

  • You get cards from web sites. Or you can create your own.
  • You install a wallet-like software app called a selector that lets you see and manage them.
  • By clicking on a card you can log into sites. No more passwords.
  • By clicking on a card you express yourself. No more filling in forms.
  • You can share cards with friends and businesses you trust.
  • Some cards create permanent connections to your friends, communities and businesses.

I’d suggest replacing the above content with this:

Client Overview

There are three main parts to the client:
  • Browser extension – interacts with the current webpage and requests/retrieves identity information from the selector via the selector-selector
  • Selector-selector – launches the selector. [New in Higgins 1.1]. HSS Manager provides a UI to allow the user to set their default selector (e.g. CardSpace or one of the Higgins selectors, etc.). HSS Launcher makes sure that the HSS service is running as a background process.
  • Selector – client code that manages identity information using the information card metaphor. A selector is used to disclose identity information to a relying site or a local application for authentication or other purposes. The HSS can launch one of the Higgins selectors or it can launch CardSpace™ as the user desires.

Higgins 1.0 Client[head]

In Higgins 1.0 we made partial progress towards the architecture diagramed above. In 1.0 we hadn’t yet invented the concept of a selector-selector, and the three selector solutions use different browser extensions. See each of the following selector solutions for details:
  • <three bullet/links to the three 1.0 selector solutions>

Higgins 1.1 Client[head]

Goals
  • All selector solutions should share a common set of Higgins Browser Extensions[2] (aka HBX) --one for each supported browser.
  • Add support for non-I-Card authentication methods into HBX. We’re interested in both OpenID and plain old username/password. There’s been discussions within OSIS[3], and with members of the IDIB[4] project about collaborating on this.
  • We have a Higgins Selector Selector (and related components) for Windows. We neeed to port HSS to Mac OSX (and preferably Linux too)

Selector Solutions
  • <three bullet/links to the three 1.1 selector solutions>
  • <a link to the selector harmonization effort>[5]

How to use a Selector and I-Cards[head]

<image of mouse & cards>

  • You get cards from web sites. Or you can create your own.
  • You install a wallet-like software app called a selector that lets you see and manage them.
  • By clicking on a card you can log into sites. No more passwords.
  • By clicking on a card you express yourself. No more filling in forms.
  • You can share cards with friends and businesses you trust.
  • Some cards create permanent connections to your friends, communities and businesses.

<as you can see, this last section is copied from the current content—just moved down>

--Paul

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Solutions_1.1
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_Browser_Extension
[3] http://osis.idcommons.net/wiki/Main_Page