Re: [higgins-dev] proposed changes to Configuration and IdASRegistry

****PLEASE READ THIS***
Just realized that I cc'd the wrong person on my original message. Please don't cc Ravi Iyer on any followups to this thread!

Markus Sabadello wrote:
Hmm ok.

I was just a bit confused by the bSave parameter. I thought if you want to save the configuration, you call applyUpdates(). And if you don't want to save, then you don't call it.

I think the issue is that registerXXX gets called during the initial configuration process, and in those cases, you want (bSave == false), because you're using the information from the configuration map (retrieved from the configuration file), rather than changing it.

Later, if you register something new, you need for that to be added to the map and descriptor, so that you can later save it.

If there's a better way to present this in the API, I think we could be persuaded to change it.

I'll defer to Rajalakshmi for the other questions.

...Greg

Two more questions (just to see if I understand it all correctly):

- The IContextFactory.getContextDescriptor(contextId) method is only used to create a new ISettingDescriptor for a context ID that doesn't exist yet, right? Maybe a better name would be createContextSettingDescriptor(contextId) ?

- Regarding IdASRegistry.registerContextFactory()... What happens to those versions of this method that expect an IContextFactory parameter? They would call getComponentDescriptor() on the IContextFactory to get their ISettingDescriptor, right?

It all looks great to me.

Markus