Re: [higgins-dev] IdAS API thread safe ?

It's a good question, but one that's hard to answer.

When talking about IdAS APIs, some (many?) of us think about what's in org.eclipse.higgins.idas.api.  That's all pretty much just Java interfaces.  So the answer would be yes.  But then there are the org.eclipse.higgins.idas.spi, and org.eclipse.higgins.idas.common packages.  Those need to be examined.

More importantly, there are all the context providers.  I think each of these would need to guarantee its thread safety. I suppose what's being asked for is some kind of agreement/standardization on what an application should expect.  After all, we don't want an application to have to be aware of which CP is being utilized.

I'd like to get feedback from some CP writers.  In your eyes, would it be better for each CP to be held to some agreed-upon standard, or would it be better if each CP could declare (programmatically) which methods are thread-safe.  I think the former is more sane from an IdAS consumer's POV

Jim

>>> Prakash C Mallick <prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx> 06/11/08 3:39 AM >>>
Hi All,
          Are IdAS APIs certified as thread safe ? Please let us know so
that we can take special care while we write our own context provider
based on IdAS API.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakash
Advisory Software Engineer,
Tivoli Security Products
India Software Lab, IBM Software Group
Ozone, SP Infocity, Saswad Road, Fursungi, Pune 412 308
Ph: +91-20-2690-1013
e-mail: prakash.mallick@xxxxxxxxxx