[higgins-dev] Notes from June 5 Higgins developers call

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, June 5

 Attendees

=========

 Charles Andres

 Paula Austel - IBM

 Jeff Broberg CA

 Duane Buss - Novell

 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich

* Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

* Brian Carrol - Serena

* Tom Doman - Novell

* Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

 David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

* Mike McIntosh - IBM

* Tony Nadalin - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

Drummond Reed - Cordance

*Bruce Rich - IBM

 * Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

 Markus Sabedello - Parity

* Jim Sermersheim - Novell

George Stanchev - Serena

 Daniel Sanders

Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

Brian Walker - Parity

 Jeesmon Jacob  - Parity

* Carl Binding  - IBM

 Tom Caroll - Parity

* Ernst Plassmann  - IBM

Mohamad - Oracle

* Attendees

Meeting Notes

1) [Brian] 1.1M2 (13-June target)

---------------------------------

* See: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M2

* To support the release target date we ask that any open issues

planned for M2 be closed by 11-June.

* As a reminder for 1.1M2 bug owners as listed in the below link to please

go through your bugs and categorize them as:

1. Move them to fixed state if completed

2. Leave them on this list if you can commit to have

them completed by 11-June

3. Move them to a future milestone (M3 or "Backlog").

* See [1] below for the link

[Brian] The latest status is to have the milestone complete by June 11.  The target release date is June 13.  Currently there are 53 items of which twelve have been addressed, leaving 41 remaining items open.  Need the ticket owners to continue to go through the list, if you are committing to do the item before the 11th, leave it there, otherwise move it to another milestone or to the future. We ask people to continue to iterate.  General operating procedures are to go through the list and if an item is not marked as fixed, I will assume it is not getting done and more it out to the next release and go from there.  That is my default operating procedure.

[Brian] The other point from last week, was the dialogue on nightly build failures.  I’m working with Peter on backup. If a build fails for two nights or more, he will write a script and send an email, and I will make an outreach.  We will activate this process in the next couple of weeks.

[Paul] Question on the automated testing:.  We got feedback back from Bjorn at the end of last week’s call, what is the current status?

[Brian] Haven’t followed-up yet.

[Paul] Put this on the list for 1.1M3

2) [Paul] HOWL 1.21 Update

--------------------------

* See: http://wiki.eclipse.org/HOWL_Update_1.21

[Paul] Next topic is the one thing I was supposed to get done for M2.  I created a wiki page and would like to spend a few minutes going through the changes.  I will be adding to this wiki page.  I will change the url so that we have a latest version and previous version. I will send an email around when done.  1.2 has been checked in.

[Paul] Changed from node to entity.  Called entityUDI and contextUDI, so that is just name refactoring. EntityId is either a string or entityUDI. I will leave it to Jim to design the best way to have java interface.

[Jim] The format of the UDI, is that easily distinguishable?  If we left the data type as a string does that work? or do we need something else?

[Paul] My personal opinion is that it would be better to have two separate things.  A string means anything.

[Jim] OK.  We could come up with something called an entityId.

[Paul] Also context and attribute UDI's are all in the spec on the parity.com/UDI page.

[Paul] I also renamed Higgins:source to Higgins:authority.  The range is an agent (i.e. a person or an organization making an update.) That is a minor change.

[Paul] The next section, I’m interested Jim in your review of this. I will really write up much more doc now that it has been checked in. This wiki page is just a summary of the changes. I need to make a new HOWL page that is up to date. Have some new classes and subclasses, using example lingo.

[Paul] In doing this work, they are just additive statements.  They are just positive operations. ..can't say right now about negative statements. I throw that out for you and us to think about.  What is the next baby step that can do useful things. Need to keep adding statement..

[Jim] Especially if the possible set of attributes is more open ended. Making a negative statement can be much easier.  Read all but x, y and z (for example)..

[Paul] I did this and consider it entirely experimental.  The rest of the HOWL is much more stable.

[Paul] Actual HOWL is checked in.  In the next few days, I will send an email with public URL, Don’t want to break any existing code.  So there will be three versions: today, last and this one (currently latest) is checked into ontology eclipse project with a couple of example files.  Much more doc to come. Raw HOWL is there and I'm interested in feedback..

3) FC2 Consortium / Higgins Meeting

-----------------------------------

* See: http://www.fc2consortium.org/indexen.html

* Paul had all-day meeting June 2 in Paris with them

[Paul] A French consortium found Higgins.  Mary and I reached out to them. Oliver (of the consortium) met Dale at the European Identity Conference.  He talked to Mary and Dale and got interested.  Olivier said that they were having a meeting and I said I would come over to speak to it.  There were over 20 present plus myself. The link is a new public site about the consortium (English version.)  This is a funded consortium.  It is very interested. They see three circles, banking, government and telco. Some of these are existing liberty circles of trust. Some of them are oriented to info-cards. They want to have Higgins to inter-federate by user.

[Paul]  Before I went they were pretty interested in Higgins.  Oliver called this morning to say that there will be an official decision in June on what direction they want to go.  This project requires much more of Higgins than exists today. To give you a taste, beyond mobile, if use CardSpace as is it [for one of their use cases] CardSpace would pop up 3 times in a row  This is not an acceptable user experience.  So at least need to be able to select multiple cards at once. It is a good project. It would be good for Higgins and push Higgins in goods ways. It integrates with all the stuff Higgins already works with.

[Paul] Dale will be happy to know that things are proceeding. Right timescale. The big architecture decision by October, then specifications and gap analysis. I will be writing up my notes in the next week. Goal is to move to pilot in a year or fall 2009.  This is a very exiting project.

[Jim] Are there things they need, that are important, from us?  Documentation to make their decision better over the next few day?

[Paul] I created a new Higgins PowerPoint so that they would understand the roadmap. I will publish this. During the day there were 10 intense hours. Not solving problems, but making lists.  I think they understand where Higgins is, and it is very promising. As we engage with them if the decision works favorably. They need to decide how to engage and work with Higgins.  They would like to contribute and to be a contributor, not just a consumer.

[Paul] They already have ID-WSF library developers - so there are resources they could contribute.  There are at least three of them on the IRC channel right now.

4) [Jim] IdAS Refactoring

-------------------------

* Discussion?

[Paul] This is just a placeholder. Didn’t know if you wanted to use this as a forum.

[Jim] I can give an update. I went ahead and felt we had enough of a consensus on the mini re-factoring. I checked in everything agreed on so far.  There were still a couple of minor questions from Sergey. So that is done.  Context is supposed to have attributes... Right now there are methods right off Icontext to get a relationship. If a context can have attributes and a relationship can be represented as an attribute, then they can just read the relationship attributes. So the note was to remove those methods (deprecate).  What is a context relationship attribute?  I couldn't find it?

[Paul] I will double check.

[Jim] I put a put a bugzilla item it out there to talk about it.  It is assigned to you, Paul.

[Jim] The complex attributes entity thing. We also wanted a way to reference another entity.  There is another bugzilla item for this.

[Paul]  In both these cases, the new Howl 1.2 supports these.

[Jim] Great. Speaking of deprecated methods, I deprecated some methods in 1.0 and now am deprecating more methods.  I’m not sure the best way.  At some point, it would be nice to get rid of these. I could send out an announcement and give people 6 months notice.

[Mary] It depends. Six months can be a long or a short time depending on who is using a method and how.

[Jim] Send out email, and see who is using it [the method].

[Paul] Brian, you and I can look into Higgins standards.

[Jim] Today I was going to move over to attributes. I maybe able to do it in one day, maybe not. Then I really want to get to a place where we can talk more about subtly representing the model as just entities.

[Paul] Any further discussion on this?

[Jim] Not really. There are too many words on the wiki page.  Maybe make a reader’s digest version.

[Paul]  Brian, Jim's proposal is to remove all the model specific methods.

[Paul] One quick thing in HOWL 1.2.1.  There is a new class called statement.  It gives you an anchor so you can make statement attributes about attributes.

[Paul] When I have the doc done, I will make a nice link to HOWL.

5) R-Card Design Work

---------------------

* Need to arrange a conf call

* Pull together some separate discussions happening with

John Bradley about OpenID i-cards, with VRM folks, etc.

* Paul to send out suggested times, etc.

[Paul] I wasn't at IIW, but Drummond, Mary and Markus were there and there was Bob’s paper. Since then, I have been involved in some of the many discussions about how this relates to the VRM change of address [use case] and Open id and John Bradley of ootao's thinking about validating XRDS’ by having them have public keys.  So I will try to pull together a separate conference call in the nest few days. In general the opportunity seems to be that maybe we make a few changes to the r-cards.

[Paul] The current way is to have an endpoint reference, and a second endpoint reference. It may be more helpful to make the entityUDI the second endpoint reference just be a claim. There are pros and cons.  One obvious advantage is it doesn't change the managed card schema at all. The more interesting advantage is it allows the RP to express desire for such a claim, so it integrates better with the ISIP dance.  It clears up this issue of authority.  If the entityUDI is a value of a SAML token, then the digital signature on the SAML token is an authority for the claim that this is the URI.

[Tony] I would say that that is not typically the case. It will be someone else who actually made the claim.  In most cases it will not be the IdP.

[Tony] The IdP may make the card, but not hold the context.

[Paul] So who signs?

[Tony] It may be an independently signed claim.

[Paul] So we should have this meeting. So Tony, you are saying we may want to leave it as is?

[Tony] There are lots of cases for independent.

[Paul] Asa is working on ID-WSF. There is no convenient way to convey endpoints.  This is one thing that cards do well.  He was seeing how cards could really help with this.  There is enough reason to put together a concentrated r-card meeting.

[Paul] John Bradley is running with a proposal started by Dick Hardt. So far people have been ok doing this under Eclipse IPR rules. I will send out a Doodle. [to determine when to schedule the call.]

[Paul] That was all I had.

[Mike] Last week I asked people about auto testing.

[Paul] We got a response after you asked. So we, Brian, is working on that. We, I, would like to get started on doing something. I’m worried about expectations for support on the next milestone.  We talked earlier about making this part of M3.

[Mike] I hesitate to release any milestones without that. I don't have enough resources to provide support for things that are not fully tested.

[Paul] Brian has that one.

-end

Links

=====

[1]

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_t

ype=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&classification=Technology&product=Higgins&tar

get_milestone=1.1M2&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_ty

pe=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status

_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&emailtype1=substring&email1=&e

mailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&ch

fieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&fi

eld0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Back to the top