Re: [higgins-dev] Can we rename saml2idp.saml2?

Mike,

It would be nice if the utility class (whatever it ends up being) also had methods for validating the token:

isSignatureValid
isIssuerValid (does it match the cert)
isDateRangeValid
isX509CertValid( boolean validateEntireCertChain)
etc.

We will probably have policies that tell us how much validation we want to do on a token we receive.

Daniel

>>> "Tom Doman" <tdoman@xxxxxxxxxx> 6/6/2008 1:35 PM >>>
The short answer is, the SAML2 assertion came from somewhere the
application felt good about.  :)  In this case, it just came from a SAML2
capable IdP.

Yeah, we need something that knows it's SAML2 so we can pick out
the subject information at least.  Thus, the materials the way we've
defined it so far.  I should also note that we need to preserve the
original assertion as is to pass on and that's why we have that accessor
in the AuthNSAML2 materials but if the serialization of the assertion
from Markus utility code preserved the original form as far as signature
verification would be concerned, then, we wouldn't need that accessor
or even the additional materials class as Jim mentioned.

Tom

higgins- dev- bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 06/06/2008 10:37:45 AM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: [higgins- dev] Can we rename saml2idp.saml2?
>
> Jim Sermersheim
>
> to:
>
> <Higgins dev
>
> 06/06/2008 10:38 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> higgins- dev- bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Please respond to "Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer
discussions"

> What we wanted to be able to do is authenticate to IdAS using a
> SAML2 assertion.  The application consuming IdAS will receive a

So you want something you can pass to IContext::open as a credential. Where
do you get this SAML 2 Assertion from?

> serialized SAML2 assertion and open an IContext with it.  Right now,
> we're using org.eclipse.higgins.saml2idp.saml2.SAMLAssertion.
> Actually, we have a thin wrapper over
> org.eclipse.higgins.saml2idp.saml2.SAMLAssertion.  You can see it at
> org.eclipse.higgins.idas.common.AuthNSAML2AssertionMaterials.  We
> wanted to make sure we (the CP) could get the serialized form of the
> SAML2 assertion back in the exact form that it came in.  We hope
> SAMLAssertion.toString() will produce the correct form, but we
> weren't sure, so we built that little wrapper so we could preserve it.

Hmmm, trying to figure out how much functionality you need from this. Do
you just need something like: AuthNXMLTokenMaterials? Or do you need
something that allows you to pull various element values out of the SAML 2
Assertion?.