[higgins-dev] Notes from May 29th Higgins developers call - corrected

Notes from the Higgins Developers call on Thursday, May 29

 Attendees

=========

Charles Andres

 Paula Austel - IBM

* Jeff Broberg CA

* Duane Buss - Novell

 Anthony Bussani - IBM Zurich

* Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

* Brian Carrol - Serena

* Tom Doman - Novell

* Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

* David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

* Mike McIntosh - IBM

* Tony Nadalin - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Ernst Plassmann - IBM

 Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

Drummond Reed - Cordance

*Bruce Rich - IBM

Mary Ruddy - Meristic/SocialPhysics

* Markus Sabedello - Parity

 Jim Sermersheim - Novell

*George Stanchev - Serena

* Daniel Sanders

Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

Brian Walker - Parity

 Jeesmon Jacob  - Parity

 Carl Binding  - IBM

 Tom Caroll - Parity

 Ernst Plassmann  - IBM

*Mohamad - Oracle

* Attendees

Meeting Notes

=====================

 1) [Mary, Paul] Recent events - IIW and mini-Higgins F2F in Seattle

[Mary]  - We are going to start with an update about two recent events.  The first is IIW. A blogger http://drstarcat.com/ said that the IIW session with a Relationship card demo was one of the best sessions.  Drummond also did a “demonstration” of the relationship card concept with string and scissors on the first day, which made a strong impression.  In the Higgins overview I led with the user-interface (information cards) and then followed- up with details about Higgins’ back end capabilities.  The feedback on this approach was positive.

[Tony] – I have a concern as to Drummond’s… some concern over standards.

[Drummond] You mean negative votes on W3C ?

[Drummond] Has passed at OASIS.  It is a concern.  But this isn't news.

[Mary] Concern for consistency?

[Tony] Yes, we tow the line with W3C.

[Drummond] This is obviously a complex subject.  Do you want to have a dedicated conversation?

[Tony]Yes. I only brought it up as it is becoming more of an issue with relationship cards.  We need to go figure out what to do here.

[Drummond] At IIW, people came up to me and said “Ahh, I finally get why you are driving the XRI thing.”

[Drummond] I completely understand the concern.

[Mary]  The other event was the mini Higgins F2F.  Mike can you talk to that?

[Mike] We should wait until Jim is back so that he can speak.

[Tom] Do you want feedback on the other meeting?

[Mary] No. We won’t talk about the non-Higgins meeting on the Higgins call.

[Mary] The next topic is Brian on 1.2M2...

2) [Brian] 1.1M2 (13-June target)

 --------------------------------

* See: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_1.1M2

* To support the release target date we ask that any open issues

planned for M2 be closed by 11-June.

* As a reminder for 1.1M2 bug owners as listed in the below link to please

go through your bugs and categorize them as:

1. Move them to fixed state if completed

2. Leave them on this list if you can commit to have

them completed by 11-June

3. Move them to a future milestone (M3 or "Backlog").

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_t

ype=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&classification=Technology&product=Higgins&tar

get_milestone=1.1M2&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_ty

pe=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status

_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&emailtype1=substring&email1=&e

mailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&ch

fieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&fi

eld0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

 [Brian] We have a total of 51 items on the list.  Ten of these are tagged as fixed.  Therefore there are 41 items that need to be gone through and updated or moved.  I will continue to follow-up with people.  Leave it (the item) there if you know it will be fixed... or move it to M3 or the parking lot if not.  I will continue to update folks a couple of times a week.  There is no change on the 1.0.2 release.

[Tony] What are the benchmarks for releasing a milestone.  What tests get performed to say this is ready to release…  Some people test... Is there a test that runs at night?

[Brian] Excellent question.

[Brian] We are currently working on test automation and reporting.  Currently we are focusing on unit testing. We are investigating how we can include test automation in the nightly builds.  So those are ways to add formality at a component level, then at a solution level.  The plan is to report this on the wiki page, then include this as part of the release process.

[Mike] Do we have any hope to get automated testing into the build process any time soon?

[Brian] There was a dialogue Paul had started with the Eclipse folks.  Never got any response from them. Will try to probe Bjorn again.

[Mary] Bjorn is traveling this week.

[Paul] I will follow up again.  In general, Parity is trying to generate the resource for this, but it isn’t the highest priority.  It won’t happen for another milestone.

[Mike] The issue is that without automated testing in place, our quality control is just whether or not it builds, which is not a high bar.

[Paul] Fair criticism.

[Paul] If anyone wants to volunteer resources… It is only Parity trying to find the resources.

[Mike] I'm willing to put resources in, but want advice from other Eclipse projects that have done this before.  So we aren’t maintaining testing infrastructure we have built for ourselves.  We can’t do that.

[Paul]  Mary can help by re-forwarding the email to Bjorn.

[Mike] Tony can you help get someone.

[Paul] There is agreement about intent.  We couldn't get it done for 1.0.  We do want to do it. The Eclipse IDE runs ~20K test automatically.  We need to figure out how to get a hand on this expertise.

3) [Mary] Website

-----------------

* Status update

[Mary] We are continuing to work on the redesign of the Higgins home page.  We received a lot of feedback that we needed to change the home page so that people coming to the Higgins project don't get lost in the Eclipse website.  And the the heavy purple "Phoenix" look and feel was inhibiting adoption.  The purple will be replaced with something lighter and more open.  We have been coordinating with Eclipse and some other projects on a revised design.  For example the revised header just has the Eclipse logo and the Higgins logo and lots of white space.

[Tony] What about fonts and colors?

[Mary] The current proposed colors are a medium blue, which complements the Eclipse logo and is more like the Eclipse style before the "Phoenix" style was adopted.

[Mary] The next topics are about the software

4) Multi-protocol RP Support

---------------------------

* Do we agree on the goal of simplifying the RP user experience (i.e.

not "click here to login with OpenID", "click here to sign in with

information card", "click here to login with SAML")

* Do we want the RP metadata to declare the various RP protocols it

Supports (e.g. ISIP 1.0 & OpenID 2.0)?

* Is our assumption that a card selector will always appear

5) Multi-protocol Information Cards

-----------------------------------

* Cards that support WS-Trust AND SAML AND OpenID simultaneously?

[Paul] The next topics are intertwined. People have multiple protocols. What should the user experience be?  Do we as a project agreed on the goal of unified user interface?  This is opening this up as a topic of conversation, rather than having a fixed answer.

[Mike] We should talk about what the options are.  We already have 3-4 user experiences as it is.  Do we think that one or more of our use experiences is more suitable?

[Paul] I was trying to focus more narrowly  In an ideal world should there be multiple log-in options?  Is there anything wrong with having multiple sign ins?  Is it within our scope to work on the RP code?  Or can we not decouple this?

[Mike] The problem we have to deal with is that RP’s don’t want to spend a lot of time adopting identity technology.  Especially identity technology that may not take off.  We want to enable with a framework to isolate them from the details.

[Drummond]  I agree with Mike on this. There were several conversations on this. George Fletcher blogged about this.  Have. RP’s just use a link to an XRDS document so there is one way to the RP.

[Drummond] If Higgins is going to be multi-protocol, and we can provide RP's what they need to deal with it, a whole bunch of RP’s would love us for that.

[Paul] Are we all in agreement for that - to develop a RP framework, an overall framework, to maximize adoption of I-cards particularly?  Is that a proposition we agree with?

[Daniel] Drummond brings up an interesting point. If we come to one icon to click on in the RP page, it may be different protocols, will it always bring up an information card?  If that is what it means, then I would have some concern about that.

[Paul] What is the concern?

[Daniel] We have received feedback.  That they can be too “in your face”, and not in the main line of what the application look and feel is.  The user finds themselves in a wilderness...I'm in favor of Drummond’s proposal about multi-protocol.

[Paul] Are you proposing that people type in their OpenID manually rather than using a card?

[Daniel] I don't think you want to get locked into using an identity selector.

[Charles] What icon?

[Daniel] Click on some icon and get experience for that web app. Could bring up i-card, or password or OpenID.

[Charles] That is what we have now, a couple of options.

[Daniel] Have one thing presented and when click on it get what that [website’s] administrator wants to offer.  I don’t think we can say that it should always bring up an identity selector.

[Drummond] Site and user each have their preferences.  The result may depend on an interaction of those two preference sets.  Have the user side agent decide to do the right thing based on what the RP side does.

[Daniel] Not sure that the one paradigm will always be best.  Some app developers want to provide a more seamless experience for users.  But I want to use the Higgins technology to do this.  Is not one size shoe fits all.  Is a suite of offerings.

[Charles] The industry will have this problem in general. Any site that exists right now needs to offer the existing user-name password experience.  It could get to the point that the industry could help RP’s in ….

[Drummond] It strikes me that Higgins, if we are truly multi protocol, we have an extraordinary opportunity to help RP's. Not knowing which one will win.  If Higgins can say we are supporting the varying options, but we simplify it for you the RP and a suggested user experience. A lot of RP’s would like that.

[Paul] Are we all in agreement? If so, then that is a high bar. It is a big project.  Any descent?

[Tony] My view is that there are more concerns out there than the RP. We need to make it easier for the consumer, then the RP. On that note it is not necessarily CardSpace that will win on the client.

[Paul] Agree completely.

[Daniel] There is another wrinkle. Some places use custom authentication. (I.e. Fingerprints, etc.)  Have we thought about how to support those as well, and make that experience easier?

[Drummond] We should use the 80-20 rule. Handle the standard options, then make it customizable.

[Daniel] We can define a framework, that is extensible, without covering the other 20 percent, but anticipate it.

[Paul] We need to be very precise about what we work on. Agree totally.  It is the user experience that will drive this. There is a mid position.  We can do some skinning. I was talking with Pam Dingle about RP's  - generic descriptions vs.. specific RP’s on field.  Before we jump to solutions, we need to get some careful usability feedback.

[Daniel] Agree.  Focus is on the end user.

[Mary] Yes, focus on a smoother user experience so that RP’s thinking about adopting this paradigm don’t worry about loosing users due to a bad user experience. Focusing on the user experience will help with RP adoption of the technology.  Higgins handles the messy stuff so that the RP’s life is simpler.

[Charles] At IIW I ran a session on two buttons (VRM, and information cards.)

[Charles] Clicking on the purple icon isn’t the answer as that is just one protocol.

[Paul] It should be very plastic and adaptive.  A negotiation to some extent. I'm concerned about doing anything in the RP side that breaks the fundamental metaphor for the user experience.

[Paul] Mary, you’ve been taking notes?  I didn’t expect to conclude this topic in this call.  Just want it bring it to the group’s attention.

[Mary] Yes, I’m taking the notes.  Time check....

[Paul] Another topic.  Should every card be multi-protocol? I’m throwing this out for thought.

6) RP User Experience

---------------------

* Today Selector pops up in a separate window/desktop context

* Should we have a work area to gather feedback on the user experience?

[Paul] We’ve talked about this.

7) Axel's two proposals

-----------------------------------

* <object> tag alt. Thread starts here:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/msg04502.html

* Instant managed cards. Thread starts here:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/msg04518.html

[Paul]  The next topic is Axel’s two proposals.  Don’t know if people have had a change to study these things. I put the links in.  Do any of you who are on the call have thought?

[Andy] I can express some of Axel’s concerns on the object tag.  They expect the embedded object to be something that can… We use it to represent the required token given the Mozilla model. Therefore we have to go through strange hacks to get around the plug-in missing message. It is very complicated and fragile. Every time Mozilla comes up with an update… To address these concerns, rather than use the object tag, use a linked tag...It is used to embed the relative order of a tag. Axel is proposing that we use that to specify the RP policy. Rather than rendering a page, put a button in task bar or someplace that the use can then click on to cause the selector to be launched...While I think that is interesting, I don't know if that we be that appealing to end users.  He is trying to push the link tag as a possible solution.

[Daniel] In the head section of the page, what if there were multiple forms?

[Andy] Don’t know how we would do that with a linked tag.

[Paul] Thanks Andy. That is very helpful. It comes back to the RP experience.  We need to have something rendered in the pages.  As there are only a few minute left, rather than start on Axel's other proposal, lets table that for now and have a minute to go through Higgins related news at the end here.

Higgins-Related News

1) [Paul] Parity's "Higgins Mobile" Proposal

Parity is out soliciting project funding to develop a native code selector for Symbian, RIM, WinCE, iPhone and Android. [IBM has disclosed its internal project working on experimental Android selector]. Parity would be the project manager. All code will be contributed to Higgins.

[Paul] There are two more news related items:

[Paul] One of them is that Parity is out soliciting resources for developing native selectors on portable devices.  Wouldn't it be great if Higgins selectors ran on all the top phone platforms?  IBM has publicly talked about their work that they have done themselves.

[Paul] In the past this is not how we get Higgins code funded, mostly people providing their own developers.  Want to put this out there…  Any response?

[Daniel] Top 5 platforms?

[Paul] Top five mobile platforms.  I do get feedback.  Until it runs everywhere, it is hard to push it. If there were a common platform for all these platforms….

[Tony] When we worked on Android, we surveyed.  We know of at least 4 other efforts.  Some of the issues are still usability.  It is not nice to type anything on your phone at all. So there is still some big usability on the phone.

2) [Paul] Information Card Foundation

There will be a June press release related to public launch of the Information Card Foundation. The foundation includes both community members (including Higgins contributors Mary Ruddy, Paul Trevithick, Andy Hodgkinson, and Drummond Reed) well as corporate sponsors (e.g. Equifax, Novell, PayPal, Parity, Wave Systems, Fun Communications, Ideology, and ooTao).

[Paul] Next topic.  There will be a June press release.  It already exists.  I mentioned those that are associated with Higgins in some way and I listed some of the companies who have signed up as official members.  There have been rumors, it is true.  It is relevant to this group as Higgins is one of the main implementers of information card technology.

[Paul] We will continue next week.

[Mary] Anything else in the last few minutes?

[Paul] In the next week, I will brush up on some of the other OpenID – i-card proposals that are in circulation.  So next Thursday we can talk about that.

[Mike] Does anyone know about where that OpenID SXIP proposal is out there? Is that owned by some one else?

[Drummond] I don't think so. It was a spec generated by SXIP, it wasn't submitted to openID2. It was an early effort. To my knowledge it hasn’t gone anywhere. They were just offering it up as a potential approach.

[Mike] I understand. It is just that SXIP is flying in many directions. I don’t know clearly who owns it now and where it is going.

 -end