RE: [higgins-dev] Data Model Discussions

I like this summary. A few questions/suggestions inline marked [=Drummond].

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anthony Nadalin
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:55 AM
To: higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [higgins-dev] Data Model Discussions

So continuing on our Data Model Topic of yesterday, here is what I see being our only constructs:

Context: is a typed object with a set of one or more Digital Subjects identified by a ContextId.

[=Drummond] Do you mean that the ContextId identifies the set of Digital Subjects (which it does), or that it identifies the Context (which I believe it does too)? If the former, maybe we should say, “Context is a typed object with a set of one or more Digital Subjects, the set of which is identified by a ContextId.”

If the latter, “Context is a typed object, identified by a ContextId, with a set of one or more Digital Subjects.”

ContextId is typed object that contains a URI or XRI that identifies a single Context.

Digital Subject is a typed object that has zero or more Attributes.

SubjectId is a typed object of type attribute that has been pre-defined that identifies a single Digital Subject.

[=Drummond] Suggest: “SubjectId is a pre-defined typed object (of type Attribute) that identifies a single Digital Subject within a Context.”

Attribute is a typed object and identified by is identified by a URI that defines its type. An attribute may have one or more values. The values may be of simple type (defined by the XML Schema literal types) or complex (structured) type. An attribute may have attributes.

[=Drummond] Do you want to say anything about Higgins pre-defined Attributes that supply the Attribute metadata specified in HOWL, i.e., add the sentence at the end, “Higgins has pre-defined a set of attributes for use on other attributes that provide metadata supporting the Higgins Data Model.”

Relation is a typed object of type attribute that has been pre-defined that links one Digital Subject to another Digital Subject in the same or within a different Context.

[=Drummond] “Relation is a pre-defined typed object (of type Attribute) that links one Digital Subject to another Digital Subject in the same or within a different Context.”

Correlation is a typed object of attribute that has been pre-defined that is used when the two Digital Subjects being linked are representations of the same SubjectId

[=Drummond] On this one, as I understand it, if the Correlation is within the same Context, the SubjectIds can’t be the same (or else they would not be unique in the Context). If it is across contexts, the SubjectIds may or may not be the same. If so, how about, “Correlation is a pre-defined typed object (of type Attribute) used when the the two Digital Subjects being linked represent the same entity, although they may have different SubjectIds.”

Back to the top