Re: [higgins-dev] configuration update

ok, and yeah, I meant opposite (not de-configure) :)

>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 5/22/07 11:26 AM >>>
If by "antithesis" you mean "opposite", it's not.  It's not a "setSettings" method.  It's a method that says -- go read the config file, or do whatever you are supposed to do, to retrieve the configuration map.  The incoming map is settings for that configuration process itself.

...Greg

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
If IConfigurationHandler::configure is the antithesis of IConfigurationHandler::getSettings, could the names be more similar?

>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 5/22/07 9:54 AM >>>

Here's what I've done in my local workspace for the configuration stuff.  I'd like some feedback before checking in.

(1) Changed org.eclipse.higgins.configuration.common to org.eclipse.configuration.impl.  Includes two packages: ...configuration.common and ...configuration.xml.  The first holds ConfigurableComponentFactoryHelper, and the second holds all of the other implementation stuff from Mike.

(2) Moved all XML-specific stuff (ISettingHandler) out of org.eclipse.higgins.configuration.api.

(3) Added IConfigurationHandler interface in the api package.  It has the following three methods, modeled after Mike's ConfigurationHandler class:

    public abstract void setConfigurationBase(String str); -- set directory for finding config files (if any)

    public abstract boolean configure(java.util.Map mapConfigurationSettings) throws Exception;  -- create config mapping

    public abstract java.util.Map getSettings() throws Exception; -- return config mapping

Except for package names, Mike's code should still work.  (Any votes for changing ConfigurationHandler to XMLConfigurationHandler?)

Comments?  I wasn't sure about whether to do separate projects for the impl stuff vs. separate packages.

...Greg