Re: [higgins-dev] Iterator vs. Map in IdAS

The advantage of using Iterator is in that it allows the provider of information to perform lazy processing of data. An example would be when a backing IdAS data store is an LDAP server.  Returning Iterators allows the provider to pull stuff off the wire and out of the ber buffer only when it's asked for.  A Map would force the CP to read everything off the wire and process it before retrning.

So, we should probably keep Iterator where it makes sense for lazy evaluation, but look at other types where they make sense

>>> David Kuehr-McLaren <dkuehrmc@xxxxxxxxxx> 5/4/07 11:14 AM >>>

In the discussion about  non-Java friendly APIs (web service, C++, scripting), we briefly talked about replacing "Iterator" with another type.  Will the return type of Iterator be replaced by Map?

David

David Kuehr-McLaren
Tivoli Security
919.224.1960