Re: [higgins-dev] IdAS Attribute data model

Your analogies are fine with me Marc -- it's good to see things through other people's eyes.

First, from a consumer/deployer's point of view, I would relate the two worlds like this:  A Context is like a specific view of a directory.  If I had an LDAP directory I could have one Higgins Context present to me only the data in one single container.  In fact, I could (if I wanted) configure a context provider to present a different Higgins Context for each container in the tree.  I could also have a context provider configured to present a Higgins Context consisting of all entries in the tree.  I could configure one which only shows me the entries that make up the DSA information model as opposed to those that make up the Directory information model.  I could have a Higgins Context which maps all DN's into a flat namespace somehow.  Furthermore, I could have one Higgins Context presenting entries from one LDAP server, and another presenting entries from a completely different LDAP server.

With IdAS I can see two ways of presenting data from multiple sources.  The simple case is where one or more IdAS Context Providers have been configured to present data from each different source (each resulting in a separate Context).  In that case, the consuming application would be dealing with data coming from multiple different Higgins Contexts.  Alternately, one could make use of a "joining" context provider.  This context provider would (by configuration) join data from multiple other Higgins Contexts and present a single Context to the user.

Clear as mud? :)

It might be easier to run over a number of examples over the phone.  Once it's more clear, you could probably help us refine the definitions and populate more doc where it needs to be.

Jim

>>> "Marc Boorshtein" <mboorshtein@xxxxxxxxx> 3/27/07 8:14 PM >>>
>
> To answer your followup question:  The IdAS consumer interacts with a
> Context.  As far as it knows, all values come from that context.  The
> context provider has to maintain the relationship between the
> IDigitalSubject and IAttribute instances presented to the IdAS consumer and
> their actual source(s).
>
> Jim

I hate to keep bringing up virtual directories, but it's what I'm use
too :-D  When an app interacts with a virtual directory the app knows
LDAP.  The virtual directory is comprised of a set of adapters (what I
equate contexts to) and an orchestration system (what I called a
"router" in my last email).  So are contexts both the adapter and the
orchestration system?  ie if I am getting data from 2 sources am I (as
someone who is going to utilize higgins & the IdAS) responsible for
creating a context that utilizes other contexts?

Thanks
Marc