[higgins-dev] Re: Some changes to IdAS proposal

>>> "Sergey Lyakhov" <slyakhov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/26/07 11:15 AM >>>
>
>3. We need to be able to set/get "null" value for simple attibute. I propose
>to use the following logic (let's assume that we create "uniqueIdentifier"
>attibute):
>a) we create individual of  higgins:SimpleAttribute class (it is
>higgins:String in case of uniqueIdentifier) and set it to a Subject as value
>of higgins:uniqueIdentifier property;
>b) if value is not null we create and set appropriate literal, otherwise do
>nothing;

Since I'm thinking IdAS API, let me ask:

Do we need to be able to add:
1) an attribute with no values?
2) an attribute with a value which is backed by null (no Java object)?  Or
3) an attribute with a value where the backing object contains an "empty" value (like a String which has no characters)?
We can already do #3, #1 and #2 would probably cause some surprises to IdAS consumers/providers right now.

I need to review the OWL to see if we allow #1 or #2.  Do you need this for a particular reason, or was the need a fallout for proposing to remove IProperty.getValues()?

Jim
>Two possible results are mentioned below:
>
>subject has "uniqueIdentifier" attribute with value = "some ID":
>
><DigitalSubject>
>    <higgins:uniqueIdentifier>
>      <higgins:String>
>        <higgins:string
>rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">some
>ID</higgins:string>
>      </higgins:String>
>    </higgins:uniqueIdentifier>
></DigitalSubject>
>
>subject has "uniqueIdentifier" attribute with null value:
>
><DigitalSubject>
>    <higgins:uniqueIdentifier>
>      <higgins:String/>
>    </higgins:uniqueIdentifier>