Re: [higgins-dev] ExampleContextOntology

Paul,

I also have some questions.

The "rdf:about" attributes in the example below have values like
"urn:jim-sermersheim".  I assume these are just examples but I still
wonder from what data might these be constructed?  Is it important how
they are constructed?  Maybe just for human readability.  I see they're
used as references (as in "rdf:jims-address") so we have to keep track
of the names we've given to what pieces but I assume they could
technically be anything, correct?

Is there a special meaning for "urn:unnamed-1"?  I see it both in the
XML instance doc as well as the OWL file and it made me wonder why some
more specific name is not used (or usable).

Tom

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> 8/15/2006 4:40 PM >>>
Paul, thanks for putting this out
(http://spwiki.editme.com/ExampleContextOntology)

some quick questions:

1) You defined hasPostalAddress, said it's in the domain of Person,
but
I don't see a cardinality rule on Person which restricts it to 1.
2) Assuming you meant to allow hasPostalAddress to have unlimited
cardinality on Person, and assuming there were multiple addresses for
the jim-sermersheim person, would we see multiple
<jim:hasPostalAddress>
elements, or multiple <rdf:Description ...> sub-elements?
3) Instead of defining PostalAddress as a class, could you have also
defined it as a DatatypeProperty and said it's range was
postalAddressType (given the definition below)?
 <xsd:complexType name="postalAddressType">
  <xsd:sequence>
   <xsd:element name="streetAddress" type="xsd:string" />
   <xsd:element name="city" type="xsd:string" />
   <xsd:element name="state" type="xsd:string" />
   <xsd:element name="postalCode" type="xsd:integer" minOccurs="0" />
   <xsd:element name="country" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0" />
  </xsd:sequence>
 </xsd:complexType>
in which case (after making the other associations), the RDF would (I
assume)look more like this:

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:jim-sermersheim">
        <jim:firstname>Jim</jim:firstname>
        <jim:surname>Sermersheim</jim:surname>
        <jim:postalAddress>
            <jim:city>Provo</jim:city>
            <jim:postalCode>84605</jim:postalCode>
            <jim:state>Utah</jim:state>
            <jim:streetAddress>123 main street</jim:streetAddress>
        </jim:hasPostalAddress>
        <rdf:type>
            <rdf:Description rdf:about="&jim;Person"/>
        </rdf:type>
    </rdf:Description>

(I know this is all just RDF/OWL in nature, rather than Higgins
specific, just figured you'd be able to answer faster than I can
research)

Jim

Back to the top