Re: [higgins-dev] What is a relationship? (was whoami (was [IdAS] Context open/close semantics))

A subject relationship is represented as IRelationship<IDigitalSubjectRef>.

It has three components: type, a collection of IDigitalSubjectRefs (pointing to related subjects) , and metadata.

...Greg

Tom Doman wrote:
Another question on relationships.  Are Digital Subject relationships
expected to be represented as an IDigitalSubjectRefs?

Tom

Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 8/14/2006 11:31 AM >>>

It's both.  It is between DigitalSubjects, which may represent the same

entity or different entities.

We don't have the notion of a "persona" of a DigitalSubject. A DigitalSubject is defined solely by its Context. "Home Tom" and "Work

Tom" are different DigitalSubjects, though they both represent the same

entity. So a relationship between "Home Tom" and "Work Tom" is a relationship between distinct DigitalSubjects, as you state in item (1)

below. But the type of the relationship could be "SameEntity", or something similar that represents your item (2).

...Greg

Tom Doman wrote:
What is the semantic intent of the "relationship" construct between
IDigitalSubjects?  Is it:

1. Meant to convey some association to other distinct
IDigitalSubjects?
 As in, Jim has a coworker relationship with Tom.
2. Meant to associate distinct personas of a single IDigitalSubject?

As in, Tom has a "work" persona and a "home" persona.
3. Both?

I ask for this clarification for a follow to the ContextRef+CUID
discussion which is right in line with my e-mails about "Unique
Identfication of Amalgamated Digital Subjects".  I see this
discussion
as just another case where we have to work out unique identification
issues.

Thanks,
Tom