Re: [higgins-dev] whoami (was [IdAS] Context open/close semantics)

Yes, I (mostly) agree. (It's possible in some cases to detected this hijacking -- e.g., using the JAAS getSubject call -- but in general it's not possible. So passing IContext instances around
should be avoided.)

I looked through the API to see if there were places where we return an IContext:

IContextFactory.createContext -- of course
IDigitalSubject.getContext -- this is supposed to "return the Context that contains this DigSub"

Should this second one return:
(a) the actual Context instance that created this DigitalSubject object?
(b) a new (unopened) Context instance?
(c) a ContextRef?

We do have methods that return IDigitalSubjects, via SubjectRelationships. These DigitalSubjects may be from different contexts. Should the relationship instead return a reference to a DigitalSubject,
as in ContextRef+CUID?

In other words, if I follow a relationship from a Subject in my opened Context to a Subject that belongs to a different (unopened) Context, and then do getContext on that Subject, what should I get?

My opinion is that getSubject should return a ContextRef, and that SubjectRelationship should return
Iterable<IDigitalSubjectRef>.

...Greg

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 8/10/06 8:59 AM >>>