[higgins-dev] RDF-OWLDataModelProposal

I've been reading this and (being an RDF/OWL newbie) trying to get a toehold on understanding it. Basically, I (and future consumers/developers) need to get from ground zero to understanding whatever they need to interface with an API/SPI, and the data model it surfaces.

I assume the Higgins Ontology proposed will be expressed as some future XML OWL file? If so, does that mean at the API/SPI level, one would not be working with class names like DigitalSubject, and AttributeStatement, but rather more generic class names like RDFStatement where the RDF Statement might be somehow denote that it's a DigitalSubject versus an AttributeStatement? (I know I'm probably 180 degrees off, but I want to get to the point where I can say what the page is saying and understand what I'm saying).

Is there more documentation for the eodm libraries? Just browsing the
javadoc with wikipedia-level prior knowledge of RDF and OWL turned out to be futile (for me at least). Maybe an explanation of how it would be used in surfacing the data model would help. Mostly I'm having a hard time finding a good jumping in point (now I'm stepping through the demo code).

If RDF and OWL DL are the data model, and the Higgins Ontology describes the basic notions of a context, its digital subjects, and their attributes/relationships, would you say that a context provider also supplies its own ontology to describe its own schema (things like people, phone numbers, etc)? And that this would use the same mechanism (an OWL definition file/stream)?

<aside>
We had a long conversation about whether attributes and relationships should be two things, or the same thing. On this page, they are different things, well, different classes of RDF statements (please correct my horrendous use of terms if needed). Isn't there still an issue where it's unclear how to represent certain types of data (I'm thinking of the "myInterests" example again, where in some cases the values are text, and other times they point to other objects).
</aside>

Jim

Back to the top